Fender Rhodes alternitives

claurt

• Members

People here seem to favour the Electro or Yamaha's S90ES/MotifES for rhodes. But you could pick up the real deal for the same money. Check out Kurzweil's ME-1 module or KME-61 keyboard version if you need something cheap. Best played from a weighted keyboard though.

• Members

Originally posted by claurt

im looking for something with a fender rhodes sound but i dont wanna pay the money for one

Where have I heard this before??? :rolleyes:

There are no vintage alternatives, all the old EPs from the 60s and 70s (Wurlitzer, RMI, Rhodes, Univox, etc.) had their own unique sounds and nothing like the others.

I own a Motif ES and the great Rhodes presets were a big reason. It also has nice Wurlitzer EP sounds.

• Members

Some people are satisfied with reasonable alternatives Meatball, gotta remember that. I'm all into my piano and organ sounds, but if I use strings onstage from a keyboard I'm not too strict, I just want it to cut through the mix.

He's probably just a guy who doesn't want to go all the way in on the electric piano thing...I can dig that. Anyway, there are a lot of romplers out there like the Roland XP-30 and Yamaha CS6x that are cheaper and more useful than a simple Rhodes and will give you useable electric piano sounds. I get great sounds using those two romplers through a Fender DeVille tube guitar amp. Sounds damned good and keeps me satisfied on electric pianos.

• Members

ive been checking out the nords and they seem pretty good and i also saw a old RMI at this muisc shop but i didnt get to try it. How do those sound and are they reliable?(at least as reliable as any equipment from the 70's.....)

• Members

Originally posted by claurt

ive been checking out the nords and they seem pretty good and i also saw a old RMI at this muisc shop but i didnt get to try it. How do those sound and are they reliable?(at least as reliable as any equipment from the 70's.....)

Dragging around an RMI sounds like a huge PITA. If you want to hear what it sounds like, listen for the piano sounds on the first Yes live album. I am not a fan (of the RMI sound), so if you're willing to go for the electro, I would.

• Members

The cheapest way to get the Rhodes sound is still to get a Rhodes... and the maintenance isn't all that bad. If you don't want to carry a Rhodes around, the Motif and Eletro both have great Rhodes sounds. If you want to go the software route, the Scarbee Rhodes is stunning.

• Members

I'd recommend a roland p330 module from about 1990. (year, not price). It doesnt sound exactly like a rhodes but its got some really nice electric piano sounds, usable acoustic piano sounds, OK clav and harpsicord. it has served me well until I recently upgraded to a kurz module. Could be had on ebay for around $200 i reckon. (I'll sell mine soon, but for you the postage would not be worth it)

• Members

right! the only cheap way is go software, you can even have one for free, mr. Ray something. Avoid the EMU vintage keys (pro) as they sound pretty bad. +1 on the Roland, does not sound much like a rhodes but is nice and playable. Another cheap solution is a Roland JV1010 + vintage keys expansion (250-300$?), sounds very good, or a Yamaha S30 (400$?) (almost motif sound, but dreadful keyboard feel!)

If you really want a vintage instrument you can consider the Hohner Pianet T, which should sound like something between a Wurly and a Rhodes. No sustain pedal possible.

• Members

I used to own a FR stage piano. I wouldn't want another one because their action sucks so bad, it hurt my hands to play them and I'm a piano player. Plus the Rhodes sound doesn't fit in a guitar/classic rock band, wurlies do a better job.

I love the sound but hate the action. Maintenance is not a big issue on rhodes pianos. These days the P-90 does a damn good rhodes for me.

Archived