Help programming the Alpha Juno 2?

keithb

• Members

I've recently purchased a Roland Alpha Juno 2 as my first synth. I've tried my hand at programming, and aside from a decent 'Moog bass' sound I'm unable to come up with anything very interesting.

The samples at http://homepage.mac.com/synth_seal/html/ajuno1c.html prove that there are indeed some great sounds in the synth, but unfortunately patches for those sounds aren't provided. I've tried downloading a few patches from Yahoo groups, etc but they pretty much sound like everything I program myself - flat, 'beepy' sounds.

Any hints (especially for pads)?

• Members

Originally posted by keithb

I've recently purchased a Roland Alpha Juno 2 as my first synth. I've tried my hand at programming, and aside from a decent 'Moog bass' sound I'm unable to come up with anything very interesting.

The samples at
http://homepage.mac.com/synth_seal/html/ajuno1c.html
prove that there are indeed some great sounds in the synth, but unfortunately patches for those sounds aren't provided. I've tried downloading a few patches from Yahoo groups, etc but they pretty much sound like everything I program myself - flat, 'beepy' sounds.

Any hints (especially for pads)?

You might want to try to apply some envelope control to the filter ("env mod" or something). That will add some obvious movement to the sound.

Also try to modulate the filter ever so slightly with the LFO.

For even more movement use PW modulation.

Experiment with how the resonance affects the sound at various filter settings.

For pads i'd recommend a slowish attack and give the sound some release to make it "hang in the air" ...

Have fun. :)

• Members

If you're after basic synth programming info, try these:

Synth Secrets, a series of columns from the UK magazine Sound ON Sound:

http://www.soundonsound.com/index.php?section=%2F&url=%2Fsearch&Keyword=synth+secrets

Here's a good intro with sound samples:

http://hem.passagen.se/tkolb/art/synth/intro_e.htm

Also take any preset on your synth you find interesting and start changing parameters to see what happens....that's how you'll REALLY learn. Start with the filter and the envelope generator settings first.

• Members

I have the Alpha Juno1, basically the same, I think there are added keys, and some more memory or something trivial like that, but basically the same engine.

I found it best to take the factory patches, and use the "Tone Modify" section to edit the sounds, roughly to what you want... That means maybe adding some slow attack, changing the filter settings, playing with the Mod settings...

The, go in, and change each and every parameter, see what EVERY ONE does, and ho wit all changes your sound... You won't get the whole picture right away, but you will start to see how each setting effects the sound. Eventually, you will see how series of parameters all work together.

I mean, there isn't any trick to it or anything...

I will say, the Alpha Juno is a LITTLE limited as far as the range of sounds you can make. I got very comfortable with it's basses and lots of pluck sounds. It can do some good leads too, and with effects, it really goes nuts, but do yourself a favor and don't touch ANYTHING else, don't add any effects, until you really know what you are doing with it.

It's an easy synth to work with, just spend some time with it.

For some specific advice, try using the Noise source in conjunction with the Sub Oscillators...

Use the High-Pass filter too, it's not ALL about the Low-Pass...

Modulating the filter is a key, but also look at stuff like delaying the LFO. Using this in conjunction with a slow Envelop will add some movement to the sound.

Modulating the Pulse-width is also a great way to add motion. Also, making some of the modulation's at different rates, to create more of a "warble" effect is great.

Play with all of the different wave forms, and seeing how they all interact together.

Modulating the Pitch can create some fun stuff too.

Later on, when you get into effects (again, hold off on this, I know it will be hard to not jump into it, but it really is for your own good) you might find adding different effects to the Left and Right outs will give you more variety, and if possible, you could modulate the different sides to create more movement (for eg., making one side come in a little slower, but has a longer release time, this sort of thing can be done with other synths or software).

You will find, on something like the Alpha Juno, some distortion and a little delay can go a long way, especially for some nice lead sounds...

USE THE CHORD MEMORY FUNCTION! TRY IT WITH EVVEERRRYYY PPAATTCHH!! (I love that thing!!!)

Hope that helps!

Archived