Semi OT- Just saw the movie 'Sorceror'. Great Synth Score-Keith Jarrett/TD

wheresgrant3

• Members

For years I've wanted to rent 'Sorceror' by William Freidken based off the praise of it's Tangerine Dream soundtrack. I signed up for Netflix recently and this was one of the first movies I puty in the queue.

Man What a treat!. Not only was the soundtrack originial, atmospheric and fantastic, but the film itself was just awesome. A great story with some of the most intense action sequences ever filmed. I'm a HUGE fan of Billy Friedken's early work.... The French Connection, The Exorcist and To Live or Die in LA. I never saw the original film Sorceror was based on ("Wages of Fear") but this movie clearly hits my Top 10!!!

Anyway back to the soundtrack. Some very cool work by Tangerine Dream... in fact, easily my favorite movie score by them. However the piece by Keith Jarrett is the real standout. If anyone is interested I found this great link....

Lost Sorceror Soundtrack

This never made it on the TD soundtrack released with the movie. Enjoy!!!! :thu:

• Members

Yeah, I've heard this film is amazing. Something about having to transport nitro glycerine via truck through South America or something like that. This film apparently was a box office flop (I think coming off The Excorcist, anything would), but that makes it all the better.

And T.D., too. Didn't know about that part.

Come to think of it. William Friedkin has always been attracted to electronic music (think "Tubular Bells" in excorcist. Another great one is "To Live and Die in L.A.," William Peterson's audition 10 years earlier for CSI, with a great sountrack by Wang Chung, Well parts anyway -- even though some of the best bits came from their earlier Points on a Curve album.

• Members

Originally posted by joekissel@adelp

Yeah, I've heard this film is amazing. Something about having to transport nitro glycerine via truck through South America or something like that. This film apparently was a box office flop (I think coming off The Excorcist, anything would), but that makes it all the better.

And T.D., too. Didn't know about that part.

Come to think of it. William Friedkin has always been attracted to electronic music (think "Tubular Bells" in excorcist. Another great one is "To Live and Die in L.A.," William Peterson's audition 10 years earlier for CSI, with a great sountrack by Wang Chung, Well parts anyway -- even though some of the best bits came from their earlier Points on a Curve album.

I remember when it was released and subsequently made it to HBO a few years later. I was too young to watch it. The movie was a box office bomb, in part, because it was released the same weekend as Star Wars. Over the years I had read many reviews calling this movie a lost gem. Finally after signing for Netflix I ordered it and it arrived last week.

I had gone into this movie with an open mind. Between Tuesday and Sunday I watched the movie 3 complete times. For those interested it is one part Treasure of The Sierra Madre, one part Papillion, one part The Usual Suspects all with the director of the French Connection at the helm. Roy Schreider is at his gloomiest. The camera work and cinematography is incredible. It is not an easy movie to watch. You need a road map for the first 45 minutes just to keep track of characters and situtations. Then suddenly, like a puzzle, all the pieces fall together and carry the movie through one of the most gripping hours in movie history. Excellent acting, intelligent direction and great storytelling... they just don't make movies like this anymore. The ending is stellar! One of the most satisfying movies I've seen in years. :thu:

Oh yeah, the soundtrack kicks ass!!!

• Members

Just imagine being put in a situation like that: a truck with sweaty dynamite, having to go over a decrepit bridge that you wouldn't even want to walk over!

been years since I'd seen the movie, and it still gives me the shivers. I need to watch it again.

• Members

Loved that movie. I was one of the few to see it in the theater, I guess. My first exposure to TD. Soundtrack blew me away. So did the ending.

Supposedly a remake of some other movie that was only 15-20 years earlier. Or so I remember hearing at the time.

Didn't know Jarrett had his hand in it...

• Members

Underated film, it cost 22 million 30 years ago so I imagine Univeral and Paramount were well pissed off! The truck on the wooden bridge sequence is the bit I remember best. Freidkin wanted Steve McQueen to star but he wanted Ali McGraw as a female lead....

Mike.

• Members

Originally posted by DrJustice

Counterpoint, you may know already, but the soundtrack is available on CD from MCA ( MCAD-10842). I had a hard time actually getting hold of it though.

DJ

--

I used to have a copy of the soundtrack on an LP!!!

My copy had all of the TD stuff. I was disappointed, though, because there was some other incidental music that was also very good. There's a hot jazz combo playing in a restaurant, for example.

Today, probably the best bet is to order the DVD.

Archived