Early Skinny Puppy and Cyberaktif Drum Machines?

stikygum

• Members

i see what you're saying now (thanks for editing your post. twice.) looks like you're trying to 'talk down' the guy who thinks that they had to use an assload of gear to produce even their early output. good point, yes the first couple albums were done on minimal gear. of course this could be said of just about anyone. there are two specific questions being asked here though, that's what i'm trying to clear up. and when asking about SP, what better way to figure out what they were using than to just figure out what they were using? :) early Bites-era stuff is pretty basic, but by the time they did the Cyberaktif album they had access to alot more gear. while they still weren't using *too* much stuff, they were out of the 'early minimal setup' phase.

also, i don't think they used much in the way of Yamaha, Oberheim, or Sequential drum machines (though he may have used a Studio440 at some point).

Cyberaktif's 'Temper' - the drums sound like samples (can't really think of what drum machine they might be from), but the extended remix on the single has an intro with distorted 808. by this point it's hard to say what they were using.

here's a studio gear list from a few years ago, hard to say what was used on what though...

cEvin Key

Hardware: Macintosh G4, Mac Titanium G4 Laptop; Nord MicroModular, Nord 3; Alesis Andromeda A-6; Roland V-synth, JP-8000, System 100m, Jupiter 6, JV-2080, TR-808 x2, TR-909, TB-303, MC-202, MC-505; Serge Modular; ARP 2500, ARP 2600; Korg MS20, MS10, SQ10, Monopoly, Wavestation AD; EMS VcS3, EML 101; Moog MiniMoog, MultiMoog, Moog Eqs; Yamaha CS80, SU700, An1X; Sequential Circuits Pro One, Studio 440; E-mu SP1200, Emax 2; Doepfer MAQ16; Kurzweil K2500; Rave 309; Waldorf Pulse+Filter; Theremin; Korg Kaos Pad v.2; Manley EQ; Avalon Compressor; TC Electronic EQ; Eventide 3500/4000; AMS delay; Lexicon PCM41, Jamman, Vortex; Sherman Filterbank; Simmons SDS-V, Korg Wavedrum, Pearl Syncussion x2, Custom Drumosaurus trigger setup.

• Members

Whoa!!! That dude from sp has way too much gear, that can't be productive. Alright he's got cash I'm broke but still. Anyone read liam howlett's remix interview on always outnumbered? He couldn't stand have that much gear. He basically used reason as a scratchpad and than kinda overdubbed. my reply is kinda ot but man he dump over half that and get newer sh%t that does multiple functions....jomox, elektron, radikal. Outside of the modulars(no way around that), a lot of that stuff seems like bogus gross representation of ego. 2 808's? a 440 and sp1200? Multiple moogs? Mc202 and tb303? Cevin been around the block and proved he's top of crop electronic artist. But its still a lot of gear

• Members

that's a lot of old gear that could require frequent service, though. bill leeb kept a lot of kit as backups, because he always had to send his synths to the US for slow repair jobs.

it's possible that subconscious studios needs to be online for other artists or non album-related tasks. if he depends on moogs or oberheims and doesn't have backups when they break down, he may well be screwed.

• Members

I here you on the back up situation. For some reason I doubt cevin's ever got his back against the wall to meet recording deadlines. Maybe he's impaitent? I would guess that's an old interview as well. A lot of cats been triming they're studios. There's too much good gear out there. This seems pretty recent to me, that sound crazy to you?

P.s. Bill leeb been dumping all that old analog gear on ebay over the past year or so. ;)

• Members

yep, good point on the backup, but i'm not sure that's the case here. most of that gear list is built up over 20 years, seems like they just never got rid of too much. they have been selling various synths, etc through auctions on the SubCon site over the past few years as well.

i think part of the reason Bill Leeb has been selling so much stuff on ebay lately is due to his recent divorce. or so they say...

• Members

Maybe I should really check out a Pro 1 then. I never would've thought it could get that metallic.

SP or Cevin actually sold a lot of stuff a while ago. That list is pretty extensive, but from the point of view that you might want to bring back some of your old tricks and whatnot for future releases, you don't want to get rid of the gear. Make it new, but it's fun to hear some of the old in there too. I'm definitely a big supporter of revamping and making everything different each time. But by selling a lot of gear (after you have many successful records), might take some of that mojo away that you had.

Just looking at the whole album process that SP put out is just so cool, each is totally different. With the exception of Bites and Mind TPI, which are more marginally dif.

Why don't we give this thread a nod towards FLA upcoming tour this summer:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=3CPDTJkutCc&search=Front%20Line%20Assembly%20FLA%20Industrial

• Members

I wasn't trying to imply that he dump all the gear. It just seemed to me that he had a lot of kit that was not needed. 2 808's and samplers? You get my point. I agree losing all that might affect mojo. Everybody's got gear no matter how useless they won't part with. Sometimes the flow and style of a piece of gear can inspire on its own. Example, I had a sh-101 I thought was too limited to stay so I traded it. It was so easy to get a sweet noise out of that thing:( double sad face for this... It used to belong to sascha k:cry: :cry:

I heard the pro one is very sick, one of the sickest but extremely faulty and unreliable.

• Members

Originally posted by dthestampede

Whoa!!! That dude from sp has way too much gear, that can't be productive. Alright he's got cash I'm broke but still. Anyone read liam howlett's remix interview on always outnumbered? He couldn't stand have that much gear. He basically used reason as a scratchpad and than kinda overdubbed. my reply is kinda ot but man he dump over half that and get newer sh%t that does multiple functions....jomox, elektron, radikal. Outside of the modulars(no way around that), a lot of that stuff seems like bogus gross representation of ego. 2 808's? a 440 and sp1200? Multiple moogs? Mc202 and tb303? Cevin been around the block and proved he's top of crop electronic artist. But its still a lot of gear

actually in the liam howlett interview he states that he sampled allot of the gear then brought it into reason, reason was more of a sounding board for the samples of the gear he already had, the point that i gathered from it was to move away from the enviroment and try to work in different enrivroments then the studio, not to minimise the studio, but to minimise the process(keep in mind the entire album was then mixed entirely in pro tools, and recorded different things ontop of that/that interview kind of bothered me cause in my opinion it gave off the appearance of giving reason more credit then it is worth...) but i mean seriously cevin key is one of the hardest working men in electronic music, and your talking about someone who has has been using synths and making money doing so since before the days of midi, look at all the pre midi folks and their kits, vince clarks studio, klause schultze's studio...

old habits die hard and i guess if you could have picked up 20 tr 808s in the mid 80's for 50$ each(gross over exaderation) and you were using them for live triggering then you may have as well...

there is also something to be said for synths that have stood the test of time, and if an arp 2600 was essential to your music writting proccess and youve already had 2 of them go on you...

meh just my 2 cents

• Members

I just think that its an insane amount of gear. Which it is 1-because nobody here probably has that much stuff, 2-because everbodys so quick to defend how much stuff that is. I never critized his work ethic or anything quite the opposite. I respect cevin and sp. Futher my point about gear mr. Reznor made p.h.m. With an emax(with monitor) and a monosynth I believe, if I missed anything help me out. You're right about liam though, I couldn't remember exactly how that came about. I do remember him b*tching about the amount of gear in his studio. Something like he couldn't even open his studio door. I like hearing about artist studio rigs and techniques its very interesting. I got more gear than I need, I'm sure on some level we all do.

Ps I own a studio 440 used to own mpc 60 I'll be damned if those things were ever cheap on any level weren't when I bought them and sure the hell not when they were new.(my 440 came with the original receipt for like 5000 something dollars);)

• Members

Originally posted by dthestampede

I just think that its an insane amount of gear. Which it is 1-because nobody here probably has that much stuff, 2-because everbodys so quick to defend how much stuff that is. I never critized his work ethic or anything quite the opposite. I respect cevin and sp. Futher my point about gear mr. Reznor made p.h.m. With an emax(with monitor) and a monosynth I believe, if I missed anything help me out. You're right about liam though, I couldn't remember exactly how that came about. I do remember him b*tching about the amount of gear in his studio. Something like he couldn't even open his studio door. I like hearing about artist studio rigs and techniques its very interesting. I got more gear than I need, I'm sure on some level we all do.

Ps I own a studio 440 used to own mpc 60 I'll be damned if those things were ever cheap on any level weren't when I bought them and sure the hell not when they were new.(my 440 came with the original receipt for like 5000 something dollars)
;)

i forget who but there is someone on this forum that has more, and another one or two who have about the same, if you check the gear pr0n thread its in there... sure trent reznor made pretty hate machine with minmal gear, as do allot of first albums from people who love gear(and in the end have a ton of it) saying its too much and how can you be productive is an overstatement about your view on it, if i had money to do that i would too, if i could afford to have another room other than my bedroom be my studio i would as well, these are not people that get a synth and never use it (IMHO) they are people who know how to use their synths(other wise the first albums would not have been as impactfull as they were) and are passionate about their synthesizers, there is nothing at all wrong with that by any stretch of my imagination... in fact i am all for it, if you have a passion engulf yourself in it, be passionate about it, dont just settle for medicracy, the lack of passion in peoples lives in the majority of society is extremely unsettling to me so when i see a list like that i think wow thats a passionate individual f*ck yeah...

• Members

yeah, that's not alot of gear compared to some people. the 808 has appeared on pretty much every SP album and most side projects, so it's not suprising they had two of them. he and Dwayne may have had one each in their rigs? i'm guessing he 'inherited' alot of gear from the SubCon studio when Goettel passed. and this isn't all of it, they sold off alot of 'lesser' stuff over the past few years. also, that list is a couple years old and i didn't even list his software.

Reznor on PHM - nice article with him in the sept. '05 issue of Future Music. he goes into some detail and says that PHM was done with a Linn 9000, Sequential Prophet VS, Moog Prodigy, Oberheim Expander, and the Emax while running Performer on a MacPlus. "Looking back now, that was the last time i really had a limited setup..."

• 4 years later...
  • Members

I read a lot of speculation about what cEvin used and from what I know some stuff I read was correct and other stuff nonsense. Back in the day during recording of songs on Bites and Remission, I know for a fact that a Korg DDD-1 drum machine/sampler was used. In fact, I have Mr. Key's personal unit currently up for auction on eBay. It is autographed by him to me and has a sample card in it as well as Korg factory Bass and Cymbal PCM expansion cards loaded in it. If you're interested in owning a piece of history that still works 100%, you can write me at raven@noiseproduction.com--I can run Visa, MasterCard, AmEx, and Discover myself if you don't want to bid on it or use Paypal.

Brap on ~ Rave

• 9 years later...

Archived