Early Skinny Puppy and Cyberaktif Drum Machines?

stikygum

• Members

Just wanted to see if people know what drum machines SP and Bill Leeb (on Cyberaktif) used for Mind the Perpetual Intercourse, Cleanse Fold and Manipulate, and also the Cyberaktif album 'Tenebrae Vision'?

I was thinking Roland TR808, TR909, but the beats on Cyberaktif are 'crunchy' and I was wondering what was used to get them that way.

Take 'Dig It' or any of Cyberaktif's songs (I think the beginning of 'Temper') for example.

I should know more about this, being that I'm was a puppy head for a long time and still am, I just try not to obsess like I used too ;)

• Members

puppy used the 808 and 909 for SURE... maybe the CRUNCH is FX?

See...

http://userpages.aug.com/sgraham/arc16.html

"All of the trademark elements of early Puppy are here. At the core of a number of songs is a warm analogue- synth bass line. The unmistakable sound of cEvin's FX-processed 808 is present."'

From this review of the 606:

http://www.sonicstate.com/synth_reviews/_inc/user_comments.cfm?id=112&print=1

"FOR YOU SKINNY PUPPY FANS OUT THERE, THIS IS WHAT THEY USED FOR THAT ALMOST BREATHING HI-HAT SOUND ON MY FAVORITE SONG "DIG IT"!!! "

Hope that helps...

Dave

• Members

Wouldn't be suprised if they did.

Also don't forget that Cevin used to layer drum-machines with a live kit alot too, as well as using tricks like gate triggers, noise bursts, etc. The process of SP (no puns) is really more important than their gear in my opnion, but there is this:

http://darksonus.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4029&highlight=skinny+puppy

• Members

Anyone here heard of Cyberaktif (the side project of Cevin Key, Dwanye Goettel, and Bill Leeb)? That's a nice cd, I actually haven't listened to it in a while, but I like the electronic drum stuff done on it. Stuff like the opening to 'Temper'.

I find it quite interesting Bill Leeb is selling off mostly all of his analog gear. He sold a bunch before and now has a bunch of stuff on ebay including an Oscar OSC. I wonder if he's going more software oriented. Can't wait for the new album and tour this summer.

Renegade, I checked those pages but didn't see much.

• Members

well the early front line albums were done with a 909 and pro one and delay unit.

skinny puppy used a lot more gear early on but mostly the ensoniq esq-1 and mirage. drums were from the 808 909 606 and the oberheim/sequential drum machines. most of their stuff was samples however as far as ambience goes. for the distinctive skinny puppy sounds you'd be better off sampling texas chainsaw massacre (the original one) and use some 606 and 909 samples for drums with the odd sequential tom samples thrown in or some of the drum library from the mirage disks. add an esq-1 and another old classic like a pro one or korg poly six and you could re-do them to death (like haujobb :) )

• Members

Originally posted by wetwareinterface

well the early front line albums were done with a 909 and pro one and delay unit.

actually, Total Terror (the earliest FLA stuff) featured mostly a ton of TR-707 as well.

haven't had a chance to properly reply to this thread, but i notice alot of murky info. i'll stop back when i get a chance to clear up some things. :wink:

• Members

Alot of the industrial stuff early-mid 80s was done before Rolands were made popular through house music. Instead they used choppier, more aggressive sample based drum machines like Sequential Drumtracks, Studio 440 and Yamaha RXs as well as those sounds through the Mirage.

Pro Ones were the most prominent of various mono synths sequenced over the drums.

• Members

Originally posted by analogbasss

Alot of the industrial stuff early-mid 80s was done before Rolands were made popular through house music...

doesn't apply here. cEvin Key was using an 808 since his days in Images In Vogue, and must've landed a 909 about the time he started SP. there's 808 and 909 *all over* Remission and Bites. sorry i haven't gotten back to this thread yet...

• Members

Originally posted by wetwareinterface

skinny puppy used a lot more gear early on but mostly the ensoniq esq-1 and mirage. drums were from the 808 909 606 and the oberheim/sequential drum machines. most of their stuff was samples however as far as ambience goes. for the distinctive skinny puppy sounds you'd be better off sampling texas chainsaw massacre (the original one) and use some 606 and 909 samples for drums with the odd sequential tom samples thrown in or some of the drum library from the mirage disks. add an esq-1 and another old classic like a pro one or korg poly six and you could re-do them to death (like haujobb
:)
)

Like Haujobb :) I don't really feel that's what Haujobb was going for or sounded like. I think his best albums was 'Freeze Frame Reality' and 'Solutions for a Small Planet'. Solutions was unique and seemed to use the Morpheus with other stuff. I want know what the pad is on the FFR album in the first song. My favorite Haujobb song.

The early Bites album with Last Rights were the best, I think.

Since we're on SP, does anyone know what synth sound in the 'Back and Forth vol. 2' on song #1 is? It's the song "Intro (live in Winnipeg)". I think if I remember correctly it comes in around 0:50 seconds. There is drum beat repeated and some other noises, but every now and then this really loud industrail machine Synth sound comes in. Almost sounds metallic.

• Members

i'm not sure if he was using anything more than a Pro-One live at that point . may have had a MemoryMoog (or Multi) as well? not sure how early that Winnipeg performance is, and i'm not sure exactly which point Wilhelm Schroeder (Bill Leeb of FLA) started playing live synth bass with them. i think he played a MiniMoog?

anyway, my guess is a Sequential Pro-One.

• Members

Most of the earlier industrial sounds were simple and not particularly expensive sources: pre-sampling drum machines for the most part, monos, good sounding lower-end samplers like the Mirage.

They added other sounds like a Minimoog and Prophet 5 later but I think the earlier stuff was Pro One along with Sequential, Yamaha, Roland drums.

• Members

Originally posted by Unfed

i'm not sure if he was using anything more than a Pro-One live at that point . may have had a MemoryMoog (or Multi) as well? not sure how early that Winnipeg performance is, and i'm not sure exactly which point Wilhelm Schroeder (Bill Leeb of FLA) started playing live synth bass with them. i think he played a MiniMoog?

anyway, my guess is a Sequential Pro-One.

Are you serious? :freak: It totally doesn't sound like a Pro1 to me. They must have used external FX right. I've never played a Pro 1, although I played a Prophet 600. That sound sounds really raw like it came from some modular setup. The sonics on it, just seem modular to me.

How about the song "Dig it"... I know we touched on it. While I hear the TR606 in there for the drums, there is another percussive type synth sound in there, starts about 0:37 into it. Sounds cool. They used the EML synths too early on didn't they?

• Members

Sounds like Pro-One with a lot of processing. It's envelopes are different from those on a Prophet 600, very much like one voice of a Prophet 5. Vince Clark has all those modulars and used the Pro One for bass on those hits like Move Out.

• Members

Originally posted by stikygum

How about the song "Dig it"... I know we touched on it. While I hear the TR606 in there for the drums, there is another percussive type synth sound in there, starts about 0:37 into it. Sounds cool. They used the EML synths too early on didn't they?

I think Dig it is an 808. At least comparing the recording to my 808's capabilities with alot of processing.... The other percussive sounds I chalked up to being samples....

• Members

'Dig It' is definitely a processed 606. i believe the snare is sampled, but i can't remember the exact details. this question was brought up on an SP forum a year or two ago, cEvin Key himself popped in to clear it up. not sure if i can find the old thread...

as for the Winnipeg clip, i honestly haven't gone and listened to it. will do in a bit... sorry if i'm a bit off, but i do know that his setup was pretty minimal in the very start. i'll ask around to see if i can get some more answers.

• Members

just listened to the Winnipeg track. funny how you can hear him switching cassettes in the beginning. the processed 808 beat comes in around 0:55 followed by the synth you're talking about. i really wouldn't be surpised if it were a Pro-One with heavy modulation as well as maybe distortion and delay thrown on top. i know he also had the MultiMoog at this time, not sure of what else besides the 808 and 909. i don't think he used the 606 at this point, if much at all besides 'Dig It'. just read an interview from Dec. '85 where they mention that they don't even have a sampler yet, all 'samples' up to this point were done on cassettes using the good old pause technique. they must've gotten the Mirage in early '86.

a bit later, besides the ESQ-1, they used the Yamaha SY-22 as well. i remember there being a Prophet-10 in the AIDY video (they had the P-5 as well). i've also seen the the big grey EmaxII sampler in Dwayne's live rig. towards the end of his life, his main gear was the k2000 and Akai S-1000.

i'll have to do some more research on this, i'd love to know exactly what gear they were using live for each tour.

• Members

Typically the early music of any group in indie dance music's surprisingly sparse. In the case of industrial a mono synth, drum machine, maybe a low-end sampler and vocoder.

Later they'll have added more expensive equipment but the early-mid 80s equipment was for the most part all high quality so there wasn't a big difference going forward IMO.

• Members

Those generalizations are more helpful than you're understanding. The core sound was based on a few basic pieces; a lot of the later additions shown on other albums are likely to confuse the issue. I have absolutely no doubt for example, that simple monos were the core sound of most industrial groups, not the various polyphonics that are listed on later albums.

Feel free to enlighten us further.

Archived