best MIDI controller keyboard for under $400?

HaGa11aZ

• Members

hay guys, i just got Reason 3.0, and i really need to get a good MIDI controller. any suggestions? I'm looking for one that has at least 49 keys, although i would prefer 61 or 76 keys. I was looking at a few M-Audio controllers. People seem to have a lot of good things to say about their keyboards.

I'm on a budget, so i don't think i would consider anything above 400 bucks. Between $200 - $350 would be ideal, but i'm willing to pay more for a significantly better product.

any recommendations? and why would you recommend that controller above other ones?

thanx!

Adam

• Members

Well, the new Novation SL looks awesome and has seperate lcd screens for each parameter along with being able to map out the parameters when hooked up to software.

For budget, the other 2 mentioned I think would be the best.

• Members

I just had a ProKeys88sx delivered today and am very pleased so far. I like the fact it is a controller and has internal sounds (7).

It has pitch and mod wheels, expression pedal inputs and the 7 dedicated sound buttons will let you change 7 programs on the fly. It comes with driver software. You can turn off the internal sounds with all notes off and just play your module or computer sound source. The keys are regular size instead of the minature keys found on some semi-weighted keyboards. It plays great to me and I am use to playing a weighted keyboard.

I sent back my CME UF7 because the velocity was never right for me on any of the settings and some of the notes were much hotter than others which drove me crazy trying to play piano on it.

It has no memory locations but was easy enough to get to sounds.

It worked o.k. on organ, strings and horn patches but not for piano. The internal sounds in the Prokeys are very good for an under $400.00 keyboard. I can highly recommend it for what I've seen but won't know until I play it with a band in a live situation just how much I will like it. I have a S90es in my studio but the Prokeys and a Yamaha rack Es will be a lot easier to transport to gigs. Hope this info helps someone.

Archived