spacey music thesis: you knew it rear it's ugly head again!

ninjaaron

• Members

I have been trying lately to create some unconventional, spacey sounding music, that still sound rather good. It represents a lot of work and experimentation on my part, and the contributors

this is a post of my findings:

simplest way to write spacey music:

use pentatonics, especially minor pentatonic.

it also usually uses a lot of power chords (clean, especially power chord arpeggios) or suspended (2 or 4) chords (especially of one and five, or for the illiterate: Csus and Gsus or Gsus and Dsus.... or whatever), and scales that lack "emotion" notes. for example a scale that has no three or six. this is the scale I like for this kind of thing 1-2-4-5-b7. It is a major pentatonic starting on the second step, a kind of Dorian pentatonic, if you will. if you are familiar with the music of Blue Man group they use this kind of idea a lot. here is the tab for a two octave version in C:

----------------------------------------------8---10-

--------------------------------------8--11---------

------------------------------7--10----------------

--------------------8--10--------------------------

-----------8---10---------------------------------

--8--10--------------------------------------------

The next step up is using superimposing Dorian and Lydian modes. Dorian because it is confused about its sexuality. it has a major 6 and a minor 3. Dorian mode is: 1-2-b3-4-5-6-b7, it is a major scale that starts on the second step and is harmonized accordingly. Pink Floyd used Dorian mode quite liberally. listen to the first track on DSOTM for a good example. the most important chords to use in Dorian mode are the Minor I and the Major IV. Lydian mode is kind of crazy because it has three whole steps right at the beginning: 1-2-3-#4-5-6-7, you might even want to stick a b7 in there, makes it even more extreme. If you want a tab for Dorian or Lydian mode just ask and I

• Members

Originally posted by Anomandaris

Oh, I have also heard your 'Exotolian' mode called the 'Melodic major'; it is the mode founded on the 5th degree of the melodic minor scale.

Yep, that's what I've seen it written as too. I think the names for modes in scales other than the Diatonic are not standardized.

• Members
Originally posted by Anomandaris

Oh, I have also heard your 'Exotolian' mode called the 'Melodic major'; it is the mode founded on the 5th degree of the melodic minor scale.

interesting, I've also heard it called the hindustan scale as it is used in a lot of indian music. then I listend to confirm this, it was true. so I guess that wuld be the most acurite name, because they were probably the first to use it

• Members
Originally posted by ninjaaron

interesting, I've also heard it called the hindustan scale as it is used in a lot of indian music. then I listend to confirm this, it was true. so I guess that wuld be the most acurite name, because they were probably the first to use it

I have little to no familiarity with non-Western music, so I'll take your word for it. :)

• Members

Originally posted by evan_02

how did i modify that?

I just said to avoid the major seven, but you mentioned the use of it in harmonies, which I guess just slipped out of my brain.

and you remided me of the coolness of lydian mode (lydiandance), althought I still prefer the dominet seven in that scale for melodies

• 1 month later...

Archived