some songwriting tips please...

• Members

Okay here's the deal...

I've got some lyrics written in a notebook and I've got some ideas for songs. But I'm just afraid to put them down on tape. I mean, I hear so many songs sounding the same and there's no way I think i can do something original. I just want to put some chords together, make some verses and choruses and make a song. But it all seems to have been done to death. How do I just do something that's interesting to people?

• Members

I think your problem is that you are not confident in your own songwriting. Don't worry about what other people think, just write for yourself. Use those chords to express yourself in a unique way. Granted, it may not be totally original, but what is these days? The important part is that you add your own individuality into the music you write.

If you are searching for a bigger 'vocabulary' then maybe listening to different music, learning a bit more theory. Or you could go the other extreme and throw everything you've learnt out the door and try to start afresh.

Either way, maybe you just need to stretch your boundaries a little. Just relax, and let the inspiration come.

• Members

Your songs are probably going to be fairly boring and predictable at first. You just need to write songs. As you write more and more you get better. Just like learning the guitar, you have to practice at it. And don't fool yourself into thinking that the bands you listen to write 14 songs and they all go on the album. They are probably writing double that. They just don't tell you about it. Generally, you'll throw out as many songs as you keep.

There's really no technique to doing something original. Each song will take on a life of it's own and that's what makes it unique. And just like learning to sing, it takes a while to find your voice. That is, it will take you a while before you find your style of music. Don't be afraid to write a stinker of a song. I think I learn more from writing crappy songs than I do good songs. Just start putting together some melodies and see what comes alive.

• Members

Songwriting is an artform just like painting or anything else. It takes time to develope your style and taist. Dont be too critical initially. Just play some chords over the lyrics and use what fits.

Try also asking this in the Songwriters forum here at HC as well.

And dont let small things like sounding boring, or not in step with the times bother ya. Shoot man, go listen to my mp3's and see just how lame a guy can be!

Especially "Jimny Cracks Corn" and "Mary's Store"!

Goto my site below and then to the mp3 page.

• Members

I agree with everybody here, the way to write better songs is to write more songs.

Let me just add that you should record everything. Even if you just have a piece of a song and not the whole thing, throw it down on tape (or hard drive) and keep it.

This will help you remember good ideas, mix and match different ideas, and build your confidence as you see how far you progress.

Good luck to ya.

• Members

Let me just add that you should record everything. Even if you just have a piece of a song and not the whole thing, throw it down on tape (or hard drive) and keep it.

Yes, most definitely record EVERYTHING. Even though you think you'll remember a cool melody the next day, you won't. No matter how cool and memorable it is, chances are you'll forget it. Hell, I've forgotten things on the way from my living room to the studio (approx 15 feet) to record something I just played. And a lot of the time these little snipettes will spark an entire song.

Archived