why can't I improvise FAST!?

ninjaaron

• Members

I can play licks and exesises fast, I can play preconstructed melodies very fast. also I can improve slow verry nicely and I have spent a great deal of time on theory so why can't I improv fast?!?!?!? when ever I try It just sounds like I'm spewing scales (in the correct key, of course), which works in some cases, but when I try to inject my feeings into it, it just doesn't work out, when playing fastish.:mad::(:confused:

mabey I just suck

• Members

I found that it took me quite awhile on leadwork to be able to improv well. I think its because i hadnt learned enough songs with their leads to have a reperratwa (yes i know) to draw from. See, for me i had to learn enough licks, scales, exercizes and what not to be able ti mix and match them to what i heard in my head. I hear the melody and then pull from all my licks ive learned to peicemeal a solo together. The more you learn the more you should be able ti play what you hear in your mind.

But then there is the mind itself. And sometimes that is the problem.

To be able to get out of the pattern frenzy of just playing scales and exercizes you have to be able to think up melodies in the first place. And there is an art to that in itself.

One way to improve your improv abilities is to scat the melody you hear in your head and then try to play it while scatting.

(Scat is a term in music that applies to singing the notes you play outloud. Its an old blues and Jazz thing).

If you slow down and sing the melody you hear you can then play it one note at a time. This teaches you to think of a lead as a song/lyric/voice.

Next, try to limit the number of notes you play in any phrase. Make a long solo a series of several small phrases rather than trying to think of it all at one time. Treat the solo like a conversation you would speak . This means including the pauses for breathing.

• Members

Speed comes from knowing where you want to go and having the technique to get there.

It seems that you hvae the technique because you're happy with your speed when you plan ahead. As for improvisation with speed, you'll simply need to think ahead better and plan where you're going.

• Members

I know what youre talking about. I find that if you want to improvise its all about phrasing. My approach to improvising is to do frequent position shifts -- when I stay in one position and play scales, thats just what it sounds like, SCALES!

I find that with position shifting, I'm usually moving betwen arpeggios/chords, where the 1-3-7 is right under my fingertips, or im shifting between "modes" of the pentatonic.

I used to be alot better at scales, but most of what I play now are little chord fragments, licks based off of chords. I think scales are way overemphasized in improvisation.

• Members

Try something like this:

Pick a song that is too fast for you to solo effectively over.

1)play a solo using 1 note only (the key of the song)
2)play a solo using only the roots of the tonic chords (ignore turnarounds, etc. Just the root of the tonality)
3)play a solo using only the roots of the chords.
4)play a solo using only 1 note from each chord (any note)
5)play a solo using only 2 notes from each chord
6)and so on and so on.

This method really helps ground the changes of the piece in your mind, so you are hearing and feeling the structure of the piece, without ever having to think about it. Plus, it is easy to pick really fast if you only have to worry about one note.

Then, when it's time to play a solo for real, you always have a safety net in case you get left behind, because you've had tons of practice making interesting solos out of just a few notes. Lets you calm down and catch up to the music.

I had a teacher show me this when I was getting frustrated with playing 'Donna Lee' in tempo. It really helped.

Archived