what is trill?

al885

• Members

Originally posted by Auggie Doggie

A trill is the rapid alternation of the 'main' note you are playing and its upper auxilliary, typically a semitone or a whole tone.

That's certainly a more precise definition. However, the note can be a semitone or whole tone below the 'main' note. The lower auxillary is used less frequently, but I actually use that version more often than the other.

• Members
Originally posted by r0g3r

That's certainly a more precise definition. However, the note can be a semitone or whole tone below the 'main' note. This is used less frequently, but I actually use that version more often than the other.

But you aren't ALLOWED to do that!!! :mad:

:D

I suppose, then, that it should be called an 'inverted trill' or perhaps a 'downward trill', or maybe you've just got a thing for reiterating your mordents. Pervert!

• Members

But you aren't ALLOWED to do that!!!
:mad:

I suppose, then, that it should be called an 'inverted trill' or perhaps a 'downward trill', or maybe you've just got a thing for reiterating your mordents. Pervert!

as I understood it different styles of trills were used in different time periods, at least that was what I learned in music appreciation.

• Members

Originally posted by ninjaaron

as I understood it different styles of trills were used in different time periods, at least that was what I learned in music appreciation.

True, but generally that refers to which note is played first. If memory serves me correctly, trills were begun on the upper auxilliary until approximately 1828, and after that time they were generally begun on the main note. Both forms have been used by Mozart, Beethoven, etc., but it mainly depending upon the preparatory note and/or whether or not the line was ascending or descending.

In the Baroque era, the trill was used as a dissonance, so the trill always began on the upper (and thus non-harmonic) tone.

• Members

True, but generally that refers to which note is played first. If memory serves me correctly, trills were begun on the upper auxilliary until approximately 1828, and after that time they were generally begun on the main note. Both forms have been used by Mozart, Beethoven, etc., but it mainly depending upon the preparatory note and/or whether or not the line was ascending or descending.

In the Baroque era, the trill was used as a dissonance, so the trill always began on the upper (and thus non-harmonic) tone.

Yea, I was referring to melodic/harmonic function, and not to which note the trill starts on. Which I believe was what you meant as well right? Now that I think about it, I actually use both varieties, but I actually probably use the upper one more, contrary to what I said earlier.

• Members

Ultimately it is left up to the performer's discretion as to how they perform the ornament.

It is worth noting, however, that great composers such as Beethoven and Mozart didn't use mordents and trills as mere haphazard fancies, but are quite deeply related to thematic material (a great example is the first movement of Beethoven's 'Pathetique' piano sonata), and so a 'good' interpretation really leaves only a singular way to perform the ornaments.

I don't really have any doubt that composers would have wished performers to play ornaments in a certain way, but if it is not explicitly notated, and the performer can justify their execution of the ornament, then it is difficult to label it a bad - or even an incorrect - interpretation.

Archived