Species Counterpoint: Cantus Firmi

WattsUrizen

• Members

A few things:

Firstly, Bump.

Secondly, does anyone have any questions regarding the exercise about the 'bad' cantus firmi? They are all quite straightforward, with obvious flaws. If anyone wants something more challenging, I can whip something up quickly.

Thirdly, I finish my exams on Monday, so expect the next installment of the series, 2-Part counterpoint in First Species, on Tuesday or thereabouts.

• Members

Originally posted by Anomandaris

Here are some exercises:

Try to find what is wrong with each of these cantus firmi.

Edit: The melodies are written in the alto clef. Middle C is the middle line on the stave.

Okay...

I wrote up my answers on a Word File but I don't know if I should post them on the thread openly. I don't mind doing so but I don't want to run the risk of putting the answers up on the screen before people get the chance to try the exercises out for themselves.

I'll email them to anyone interested in seeing what I came up with.

• Members

Originally posted by Dave Regio

Okay...

I wrote up my answers on a Word File but I don't know if I should post them on the thread openly. I don't mind doing so but I don't want to run the risk of putting the answers up on the screen before people get the chance to try the exercises out for themselves.

I'll email them to anyone interested in seeing what I came up with.

Can you PM them to me?

• Members

Ok, here are some 'solutions' to the exercises. Here is why each melody is flawed:

1. The circling of the C tone gives no direction. It is really only a prolongation of one tone. (Extended series of neighbouring notes).

2. The climax is repeated, which diminishes the effect of the climax.

3. Too many leaps, disturbs the continuity of the melody.

4. Only stepwise motion, no variety, no interest.

5. Incorrect motion following a leap. Sounds as two distinct voices, rather than one voice.

6. The melody outlines a dissonant interval, and the leap highlights this, causing instability.

7. The first four notes are repeated sequentially in the next four notes. Sequences are beyond the scope of species counterpoint.

I'll get the next thread up tomorrow morning.

Archived