The melody is the "underlying harmony"

Terje

• Members

I often hear people say that a good melody really lets you hear the underlying harmony. But lately I've thought that it's not that way. The melody is the "underlying harmony". The chords are added on top of the melody. The meldoy is the short-cut to the harmony and also the deepest aspect of it.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

something to add: improvising around a tune's melody (as opposed to the changes) is something that most people overlook. i'm trying to do it more with my own playing and i think it helps my solos not be piles of {censored}. didn't joe pass say something like "you should always be able to hear the melody in the solo"?

• Members

Melody is the most important aspect of music, harmony should support melody. Harmony should not be the dominant force in music.

In fact, most progressions arise from contrapuntal movement. While the outer shaping of music generally traces a harmonic outline, the inner parts which give music its primary motion is melody and contrapuntal chords.

For example, listen to Beethoven. His music is primarily contrapuntal: The motion in his music is created by his manipulation of thematic material, so that it pervades every single note.

Successful melody does not require harmony. However successful harmony requires melody.

• Members

Originally posted by Anomandaris

Melody is the most important aspect of music...

Nope. Rhythm is. You can have music without harmony. You basically can have music without melody too (I know that percussion instruments play notes too but anyway). But you can't have music without rhythm. Rhythm is supreme. Otherwise I agree with your reply :p

• Members

Originally posted by evan_02

something to add: improvising around a tune's melody (as opposed to the changes) is something that most people overlook. i'm trying to do it more with my own playing and i think it helps my solos not be piles of {censored}. didn't joe pass say something like "you should always be able to hear the melody in the solo"?

Couldn't agree with you more.

• Members

Originally posted by Terje

Nope. Rhythm is. You can have music without harmony. You basically can have music without melody too (I know that percussion instruments play notes too but anyway). But you can't have music without rhythm. Rhythm is supreme. Otherwise I agree with your reply
:p

Melody is more important in a compositional sense. You can't generate nearly as much emotion with rhythm as you can with melody.

You are totally correct, rhythm can exist without melody (discounting percussion pitch), but it makes for rather tedious music having a guy beat away on a single drum.

• Members

You are totally correct, rhythm can exist without melody (discounting percussion pitch), but it makes for rather tedious music having a guy beat away on a single drum.

That depends solely on who's beating away on what drum my friend. I've heard people do it on just one drum.

• Members

That depends solely on who's beating away on what drum my friend. I've heard people do it on just one drum.

The point I want to make is that even though music can not exist without rhythm of some sort, it is melody which gives music its expressive power.

With that in mind, I believe melody is the most important aspect of good music.

• Members

The point I want to make is that even though music can not exist without rhythm of some sort, it is melody which gives music its expressive power.

No way! We simply don't agree on this one. Rhythm is so damn important and so extremely overlooked. It's the thing most people have their difficulties with, it's the rhythm.

And great, driving rhythms can give enormous expressive power to music that has no other melody than what's herad from the drums.

Melody is important, as am trying to point out in this thread, but rhythm is #1.

• Members

Melody is more important in a compositional sense. You can't generate nearly as much emotion with rhythm as you can with melody.

but one could have great compositions without a real melody. just harmony. just as emotionally strong.

listen to igor stravinsky.

• Members

I agree with you here. I think melody is the most important element and music, and all other elements are suborinate to it. Everything else is there to support the melody.

• Members

Originally posted by r0g3r

I agree with you here. I think melody is the most important element and music, and all other elements are suborinate to it. Everything else is there to support the melody.

Rhythm is #1! Without rhythm there is no melody, it's just random, unconnected notes.

• Members

Rhythm is #1! Without rhythm there is no melody, it's just random, unconnected notes.

Rythm is certainly part of the melody. But, personally I can't be moved by rythm alone. It may make you want to tap your foot or whatever, but I don't think that pure rythm conveys any emotion.

Mozart and Bach saw melody as the most important element of music, and I'm inclined to agree with them.

• Members

Rythm is certainly part of the melody. But, personally I can't be moved by rythm alone. It may make you want to tap your foot or whatever, but I don't think that pure rythm conveys any emotion.

Mozart and Bach saw melody as the most important element of music, and I'm inclined to agree with them.

yeah, i agree with roger. music that gets stuck in your head is often the melody, whether it be a part of a solo, an intro riff, or a voal line. You'll never [or hardly ever] get just a rhythm beat [i.e. drum solo?] in your head.

Like, take two pieces side by side. One full of just wuarter notes in 4/4 time, but a catchy/emotional melody. Compare it to a crazy one note rhythm, and see which gets stuck in yourt head.

• Members

There's two ways to look at it. Someone like Malmsteen or John Williams would definitely agree that the melody is the most important aspect of the music, but tell that to someone like James Brown or Bob Marley, who's probably most worried about how the rhythm grooves. Listen to a Wes Montgomery-style chord solo and you'll see the best of both worlds.

Really though, if I actually try and weigh the two concepts, my brain starts to hurt.

• Members

Melody does not exist without rhythm,. Without rhythm it's just random, unconnected notes. A melody is the combination of notes and rhythm.

Right, as I said, rythm is a component of melody. We agree there.

But how does that make rythm more important than melody in music?

• Members

Also Terje, are you saying that all of the Classical composers were wrong in placing the importance of melody above that of harmony and rythm? Virtually all composers from Bach, to Beethoven felt that the melody was most important element in music.

• Members

Why do I put rhythm in front of melody? Because it's the more basic component. You can have music, and music that is really moving, with just rhythm.

Did these classical composers actually say like that, did they say or write that they put melody first and rhythm second or is that just and interpretation of their music?

Cause I'm not hearing that in their music either. Rhythm comes first there too.

• Members

Originally posted by Nicci

but one could have great compositions without a real melody. just harmony. just as emotionally strong.

listen to igor stravinsky.

Stravinsky is very melodic. Yes, he gave more focus to unusual rhythms and harmonies, but the melody in his work is paramount.

• Members

Terje, you are totally correct to say that rhythm is the most fundamental aspect of music, and that melody does not exist without some form of rhythm.

But solely rhythm does not give the emotional effect that melody does. Yes melody contains rhythm, but it is the combination of not only various note durations, but also various pitches, that elicits such varied and visceral responses from listeners.

• Members

But solely rhythm does not give the emotional effect that melody does.

"Does not give"... "does not give"... for you maybe. I've heard lots of purely rhythmical music that has moved me.

In a related discussion in a jazz forum I frequent someone quoted Dizzy saying "I hear rhythms and then I put different notes to that". Interesting thing to say and probably very true. Rhythm is the biggest stumbling block for most of us. But it sure wasn't for Dizzy.

• Members

Any good harmony contains a good melody.

true. but what is the difference if this is true? Bach wrote a lot of contrapunt. Mozart worked his way from chord to chord, 'improvising' a melody in between. Stravinsky combined the two. If we go back to Bach one could state that he placed one chord after another. Therefore: every harmony is melody. Every melody is harmony. It is just a way of looking at the score.

Archived