How to form a band????

eman

• Members

I want to join/form a band. I live in the Northwest Suburbs of Chicago. I am 38, have a family and day job and play strictly as a hobby and have been playing for about 5 years. I'd like to have a band that would practice 1-2 times per week and gig out around 2-3 times. I like heavy metal, hard rock and would basically like to have the band do original music although a few cover tunes would be fine too. Just looking to have fun. What's a good set 7-10 songs????

Also what is the best way to go about putting together this band, I really don't know anyone elso who would be interested and have no idea how to go about putting something like this together and would appreciate any input or advice.

• Members

I'd say the best way is just to get out there and be part of the community. Go to shows, when the shows are done, hang out with the bands or with the fans. If you go to the shows in the style you want to see, the other people there will obviously have the same interests, and its a good bet that a lot of them will also be interested in playing that kind of music.

Plus, as we all now, band members are constantly quitting, getting fired, changing bands, dropping out, getting arrested, etc...

You might find yourself in an opportunity to sub for somebody on a last minute basis, which could turn into a full time shot. Ya never know if you don't get out there.

Good luck

• Members

Hey eman check your local music store for a wanted board. Usually you will find adds posted there for bands seeking musicians or guys looking to start a band. Heck you could even post an add yourself. The other thing is to check around the local bar sceen and see if anybody host "Jams". Were I live there is at least 2-3 Jam sessions a week were you just show up with your axe, signe up, and play.

• Members

Some good suggestions above. I'd also check out rehearsal studios locally, they tend to have notice boards also. If you have a local free paper they may also have a music section, try writing to the music correspondant as they may print your request (certainly do in the UK).

For a set I would think that 45mins-1hour would be a good start. You should be able to support other bands to get you going. Aim for 2+ hours though if you intend to be the main act, this can be built up over time.

• Members

If there's anytyhing jam sessions are good for (and that is debatable) it is for finding people to play with. I found my bass player (or rather he found me) this way and my guitarist too.

The drummer was a stand in for the regular drummer at the time and he did it so well he ended up taking the "job". He's the only real pro in the band.

• Members

If you want to find people use Harmony-Central's Musician Ads. Place your own ad or search for those around your zip code. I live in NH and always come up with a pretty good number of ads within 20 miles of my zip code.

BTW. In my experience it's easier to join something existing than starting something from scratch. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Don't be afraid to respond to ads that seem to be a fit.

Also, I always like playing with folks better than I. You can hide behind them and learn from them.

Good luck.

Archived