Some thoughts on dynamics

Terje

• Members

One mistake we often do in my band is that when we're playing a fast and maybe also aggressive song we keep the volume at the level it was when we played a slow and soft tune.

The trick is to turn it down before you start banging harder on the strings. This way you can sound as aggressive as you like without turning the music into a loud mess.

• Members

Hmmm, don't forget dynamics is about range of volume, not just peak loudness. You can still do a ballad loud, but it will undoubtably have more space and dynamic range than a fast rock tune.
Having said that I generally do roll off the volume on the guitar a bit, but that's as much to change the attack and breakup of the sound.

I am a big fan of dynamics in the recording sense. These days everybody tries to make their CDs as loud as possible. This means lots of limiting and compression and the big loser is dynamic range. You can't have punch with dynamics. Older records e.g. Led Zeppelin still sound incredible in part because of their dynamic range.

Some of my thoughts on dynamics for you!

Ya Min

• Members

If you've ever read the 'mixerman' chronicles, he points out that it is not all the musicians fault. Record companies specifically set it up so that nearly all dynamics are squeezed out of the music during the mastering process. It homogenizes the music (always good for sale), and makes it easier on broadcasters.

Dire Straits was great with dynamic range. Listen to Telegraph Road.

• Members

Dynamics is 60% of your presentation. The other 40% is playing in tune, in time, together. From what I've been hearing lately it is a dying art. It's just fine to play thunderously loud, as long as that's not your only volume level. Thunderously loud has so much more impact when you also play whisper quiet in the same tune. And if you're playing a solo with a broad dynamic range, it's soooo much more effective to control your sound level with your pick than with your volume knob.

• Members

Originally posted by 555

Dynamics is 60% of your presentation. The other 40% is playing in tune, in time, together. From what I've been hearing lately it is a dying art. It's just fine to play thunderously loud, as long as that's not your only volume level. Thunderously loud has so much more impact when you also play whisper quiet in the same tune. And if you're playing a solo with a broad dynamic range, it's soooo much more effective to control your sound level with your pick than with your volume knob.

Just been listening to System of a Down. They're a great example of this for a rock band.

• Members

Dynamics come later on for most players. After they have learned the chords, theory, scales and other stuff to get comfortable playing. But dynamics are one sign of a pro that i look for. If everything tends to be the same volume and there are no dramatic use of swells or accents i know the guys (although they may be good) are amatuers. Its like the vibrato thing. Those who know abit use it alot more than those who dont. Little things like that let me sort of id where a player is in his musical quest. Other things are not looking at the neck all the time. Being able to turn up or down your amp without looking at it (just reach back and you KNOW where everything is.) How fast you can change a string. And things like working a mic when singing, or continuing to sing while a mic stand is slipping down and you have to stop playing the instrument to fix it. All give away a persons level of experience to some degree.

• Members

Originally posted by StratKat

And things like working a mic when singing, or continuing to sing while a mic stand is slipping down and you have to stop playing the instrument to fix it. All give away a persons level of experience to some degree.

Do we have to make it through a Jazzercise routine before playing with you?

• Members

Dynamics come later on for most players.

Or never as is the current trend.

I think it is much more preferable that players are thinking about dynamics from very early on. It's a very basic concept for players of classical instruments and they generally have superb musical feel compared to rock guitarists. The sooner a technique becomes available to a player the sooner the more likely that technique will penetrate into their listening and their playing.

Ben

• Members

Guys guys guys....

Im the easiest person in the world to play with. I love playing with "cats" who are monsters and those whom i have taught from scratch and everyone inbetween. I enjoy music for musics sake and the friendship it generates. But never the less, its a fact that everyone judges people according to what they know (or at least they perceive as whats known by the other person.)

Now tell me im a liar.... :p:)

Everytime a player of any level or experience walks into a club, or a room where there is live music the judging contest begins. Its a natural human trait and i dont discount it to be politically correct. And im as guilty as everyone else.

So when i spot someone on a stage, or in a bar, in a room, in a park (wherever/whatever), i immediately identify their experience and match my wits to their level so i dont insult them by talking beneath or above them.

If they are monsters then i wanna learn from them so i play my best. They immediately know where im at and can start helping me to be better! Teach me! Im one of those players who isnt concerned with not being as good as someone else to play with them. But if they are better than me i have an opportunity to learn from them and "goodbye" goes any ego.

But on the other hand, If they are beginners then i dont want to shred and intimidate them and lose an opportunity to make a friend. Perhaps even a lifelong friend..... No two people are at the same level of playing. If you arebetter then me i salute you for your hard work. If you are perhaps not up to my experience level then perhaps i can share some things and you benefit from them. But in any regards i want to make friends first, enjoy the music second, and share knowledge third.

How many times in your learning span did you go somewhere and get the cold shoulder because you were not as good as THEM? It happened to me alot.... If you can judge (for lack of a better word) a persons skill level and try to play in that level they feel alot more comfortable. They relax and play better too. Being a chameolian (SP?) has advantages in this biz.

Now am i saying IM a monster player? {censored} that noise! Im an old retired bar hound who like many here played skynyrd and daniels and 38 special.... Im no star or friggin teacher with degrees out the yin-yang. So dont take my posts as if i was puttin anyone down. There are cats round here who can run circles within circles around my chops! I dont begrudge them their ability to burn me or let it intimidate me either., I am what i am and thats good enough for me. I have years of knowledge from gigging that has been of some worth round here i guess to those who are just starting out. You can learn from just about anyone if you wanna learn. And if the ego is put in a box for awhile.

So dont think i was saying im so much better than you guys. I just was telling the truth. We all judge and there aint nuthin wrong with it. :) And you can have alot of fun with people who are learning just as you can learning from other people.

• Members

Dynamics come later on for most players. After they have learned the chords, theory, scales and other stuff to get comfortable playing. But dynamics are one sign of a pro that i look for. If everything tends to be the same volume and there are no dramatic use of swells or accents i know the guys (although they may be good) are amatuers. Its like the vibrato thing. Those who know abit use it alot more than those who dont. Little things like that let me sort of id where a player is in his musical quest. Other things are not looking at the neck all the time. Being able to turn up or down your amp without looking at it (just reach back and you KNOW where everything is.) How fast you can change a string. And things like working a mic when singing, or continuing to sing while a mic stand is slipping down and you have to stop playing the instrument to fix it. All give away a persons level of experience to some degree.

I basically agree with what you're saying here. Especially the dynamics thing. I'm not god at it myself. At times I think me and my band are good at it and then I get a chance to play with some relly good people and wow, there are levels in dynamics that I never knew about.

I remember playing In A Sentimental Mood with a jazz trio (bass, guitar and full drum kit) at a very low volume. For some reason I took it down even further during a part of my solo. And they followed, they were way under me all three of them! I took it back up and they followed me like a shadow then too. This comes from listening and nothing else really.

Archived