Need help soloing over non-diatonic chords

black cobra

• Members

are they all major chords?

you could use the major pentatonic of which ever root note you are on and It will sound OK, if they are all major. this is kinda a spanich progression, you might want to try the fifth mode of harmonic minor (prygyian #3)

A-Bb-C#-D-E-F-G-A

D------------------5-{7}-8------

A----------5-7-8--------------

E--{5}-6-9----------------------

I'll let you figure out the rest.

you may also want to use plain old A Prygian, that might atually work the best, because you would just be using the minor third of the scale over the major I chord, and that never sounds bad, at least not to me.

A-Bb-C-D-E-F-G-A

D------------------5-{7}-9---

A----------5-7-8--------------

E--{5}-6-8-------------------

I hope this helps

wait a second, I just realized that that was a C# , not a C, oops

My question is, is there a clear and consistent method for which scales to use over non-diatonic chords?

the answer is no. the more you learn about theory, the more you understand that you just go with what sounds good to you, andthat is actually what the "rules" are based on, what sounds good to somone. your best bet is to change modes as the chords change. modes that fit over the chord. you could play a major pentatonic over every major chord, and a minor pent over every minor chord, but that could get a bit boring, this is a good guide though. remeber to mix it up with the other notes of course.

thats all I got

• Members

Thanks for the help, ninjaaron. I did some listening for what my ears said was right over these chords.

Over the Bb major, they wanted lydian b7 for a dominant type major, and lydian for a major seventh sound.

I've read that major chords base on diatonic roots can take either the major scale or lydian, and both sounded good for the C#.

I think there is a lot of practice to be done with the modes of the harmonic minor and melodic minor with non-diatonic progressions.

After, playing the A- Bb- C# progession again, I then went to G#7- F#7- F.

The fifth mode of melodic minor sounded good over the G# and F#. Interestingly, this is Aeolian with a natural 3rd.

Over the F I think either dorian or mix. sounded good.

One thing I'm learning from posting these questions is that no one really had any certain methods about what to play over these chords.

If anyone can offer further info and insights, please do.

I really like these off-beat sounds.

• Members

Originally posted by black cobra

Thanks for the help, ninjaaron. I did some listening for what my ears said was right over these chords.

thanks man, I love it when my advice actually helps:D

I've read that major chords base on diatonic roots can take either the major scale or lydian, and both sounded good for the C#.

yes, you can also use a mixolydian scale over them effectivly

I think there is a lot of practice to be done with the modes of the harmonic minor and melodic minor with non-diatonic progressions.

I'm In a band were we use this kind of thing all of the time. It is a very cool consept, and it yeilds some interesting fruit.

The fifth mode of melodic minor sounded good over the G# and F#. Interestingly, this is Aeolian with a natural 3rd.

I use this mode like crazy, one of my favorites, one of my friends and I have dubbed it Exotolian, it is also called the hindustan scale, some call it melodic major. Great scale!

One thing I'm learning from posting these questions is that no one really had any certain methods about what to play over these chords.

yup, welcome to the place were the rules end, you are becoming a musician. (not to downplay the rules of course)

I really like these off-beat sounds.

me too:D

Archived