Using a metronome on beats 2 and 4 for a better swing feel

Terje

• Members

Here's what I think about that old idea, after having tried it some. Having the metronome on 2 and 4 forces you to take care of 1 and 3 in a way. Maybe this is good for bass players, I don't know. But for the rest of us it's better I think to have it on all four beats, letting the pulse take care of you.

What could be a good thing though is to stomp your foot (or swing your hip) on 2 and 4 cause these are the accents you wanna learn how to feel and play with. But for this purpose I think having the metronome do 2 and 4 is countre productive. It places your focus on the wrong beats.

• Members

Originally posted by Terje

Here's what I think about that old idea, after having tried it some. Having the metronome on 2 and 4 forces you to take care of 1 and 3 in a way. Maybe this is good for bass players, I don't know. But for the rest of us it's better I think to have it on all four beats, letting the pulse take care of you.

What could be a good thing though is to stomp your foot (or swing your hip) on 2 and 4 cause these are the accents you wanna learn how to feel and play with. But for this purpose I think having the metronome do 2 and 4 is countre productive. It places your focus on the wrong beats.

My old jazz teacher would shoot you for saying that ;)

Personally, why go on two and four? To me, hitting on two and four allows me to go on the off-beat of two and four, leading into strong chord tones or resolution points on one and three.

On the Aebersold Play a Longs I own (only a couple), I'll hear either the snare or the hi-hat on two and four so practicing a metronome on two and four is, for me, preparation for playing with people (something I haven't done yet).

Maybe I'm finally getting used to it.

For blues and rock and other styles, having the metronome set to click on all beats is fine by me. For jazz, I don't see how I can swing without thinking of two and four.

• Members

the 2 and 4 thing is really cool, all my berklee teachers used to have me do that , it makes you have to feel the pulse a little more instead of just having it spoon-fed to you on all 4 beats like terje mentioned , i usually take it to another level and just have a pulse on 1 beat , 1 2 3 or 4 it doesnt matter , all are equally challenging(beats 2 and 3 maybe a little more..)

• Members

Originally posted by stratboy151

the 2 and 4 thing is really cool, all my berklee teachers used to have me do that , it makes you have to feel the pulse a little more instead of just having it spoon-fed to you on all 4 beats like terje mentioned , i usually take it to another level and just have a pulse on 1 beat , 1 2 3 or 4 it doesnt matter , all are equally challenging(beats 2 and 3 maybe a little more..)

Having to feel it more, having to take more responsibility for it is mainly for rhythm players, bass players especially. The rest of us really need to learn how to float on it. At least that's how I think about this.

In a jazz forum I also frequent I brought this up and someone said there is a metronome that lets you put accentes on any beat you choose. That to mesounds like ideal. Usethe nome on all four beats but have it accent 2 and 4. That'll teach you the swing feel in a better way.

Having it on 2 and 4 fails cause you need to really feel the 1 and 3 first. You're forcing yourself to do what drummers need to learn, instead of learning how to just float on the rhythm a drummer can give you. It's a big difference to me.

• Members

Originally posted by Terje

Having it on 2 and 4 fails cause you need to really feel the 1 and 3 first. You're forcing yourself to do what drummers need to learn, instead of learning how to just float on the rhythm a drummer can give you. It's a big difference to me.

.....maybe that beat wont always be there to float around....maybe you drummer will have a solo where he doesnt emphasize the beats and you have to just feel all his beats and phrases....or maybe he drops out all together and you have to fill for 2 bars or something, theres many reason why to use the 2 and 4 system , and about feeling the 1....why cant you still feel it if you dont hear it? are you not counting? plenty of music doesnt emphsive the 1, its not the most important beat contrary to poular beat , take raggae for example, you empasive the 2nd and 3rd beat the most , boo ya.

• Members

The pulse is always there whether you play it or not. It's good to learn how to hear it without doing anything about it, to be able to float on it.

The first beat is always the most important cause without it we have no idea where the next beats are. It is however not the most emphasized in all kinds of music, but that's another thing.

If it works for you to have the nome on 2 and 4 then go ahead. I just think it complicates things and misses the point. Swing feel comes from listening a lot to jazz music.

Archived