transposing question

• Members

Originally posted by semi_divine

If a song has verses in the key of Dm and a chorus in the key of G (i.e. it changes key) can I transpose it so that the verse is in the key of Dm and the chorus is in the key of F or am I now modifying the song as opposed to transposing it?

Yes, that would be modifying rather than transposing. Or it would be transposing the chorus only - you would have to let the verse follow to Cm.

Why would you transpose only the chorus, btw?

• Members

So the chorus would be in a key that I can sing in. Otherwise I wouldn't bother.

Yeah, but then you need to take the whole tune down a whole step or it will sound very different. It might not sound bad, but it won't be transposing. Chorus in F verse in Cm, just like vote4dicktaid said.

• Members

So the chorus would be in a key that I can sing in. Otherwise I wouldn't bother.

I thought that would be the reason... having a relatively low-range voice myself.

And yes, it would sound different, not necessarily good or bad, though. Sometimes , changing keys from verse to chorus can be a surprising and elegant way of songwriting. A song that comes to mind is Beatles' Penny Lane.

(not quite comparable though, as this tune is obviously made with that modulation in mind)

Archived