blues palyers, advice please.

• Members

Originally posted by Cranky_San

i want to learn blues, but i just don't know where to start. scales? theory? which one should i learn first?

Just play the minor pent over a I-IV-V progression in any key. If that is confusing, just put on a good blues CD and play along.

• Members

This site has some great stuff on blues, and everything else about the guitar.
Cyberfret

This is another site to learn the guitar, it also shocases styles of specific blues authors. This is one from my favorite blues musician, Lightnin' Hopkins
active guitar

There's enough content on both of those sites to keep a person busy for months.

Hope that helps.

Lan

• Members
Originally posted by LanRover

This site has some great stuff on blues, and everything else about the guitar.

Cyberfret

This is another site to learn the guitar, it also shocases styles of specific blues authors. This is one from my favorite blues musician, Lightnin' Hopkins

active guitar

There's enough content on both of those sites to keep a person busy for months.

Hope that helps.

Lan

thanks for those sites. thanks to you also clone :)

• Members

There are a few good blues tabs here:

http://www.mikesguitarsite.co.uk/tabs/blues/index.php?page=Elmore%20James

What kind of blues do YOU like to listen to? There are so many greats, that if you named a few of your favorites, one of us probably has links to tabs. I have found that it is far easier to already have a song stuck in your head, hearing it so to speak, and get the tab for that song. If you start out with a tab of something you have not heard, you have little idea of the phrasing for those notes.

• Members

The blues is something every guitarist should put their own twist on. Blues and Jazz are the most emotional and expressive forms of music you can play.

I just cringe when I hear someone talk about blues tabs or learning blues solos (sorry 335clone if I piss you off). You learn the 12-bar groove then YOU just play, play, play... I went out one night to a blues club a couple years ago and there was a local legend guy playing SRV tunes all night...note perfect just like SRV played them. This guy could have been SRV re-born! Now I ask you, what kind of artist does it take to do that? ...and are you impressed when you see it happen? ...or am I just missing the boat all these years? I also play cover tunes and do the signature licks, etc.. but damn a whole night of someone elses licks and solos is just too much!

• Members

Originally posted by 335clone

There are a few good blues tabs here:

What kind of blues do YOU like to listen to? There are so many greats, that if you named a few of your favorites, one of us probably has links to tabs. I have found that it is far easier to already have a song stuck in your head, hearing it so to speak, and get the tab for that song. If you start out with a tab of something you have not heard, you have little idea of the phrasing for those notes.

i seen buddy guy's the real deal live 95 a while ago and i got HOOKED! that guy's a genius!

• Members
Originally posted by 92Strat

The blues is something every guitarist should put their own twist on. Blues and Jazz are the most emotional and expressive forms of music you can play.

I just cringe when I hear someone talk about blues tabs or learning blues solos (sorry 335clone if I piss you off). You learn the 12-bar groove then YOU just play, play, play... I went out one night to a blues club a couple years ago and there was a local legend guy playing SRV tunes all night...note perfect just like SRV played them. This guy could have been SRV re-born! Now I ask you, what kind of artist does it take to do that? ...and are you impressed when you see it happen? ...or am I just missing the boat all these years? I also play cover tunes and do the signature licks, etc.. but damn a whole night of someone elses licks and solos is just too much!

:D Nah, I understand completely. The thing you have to remember is that there is a big swing in skill levels on this board. I would be thrilled to be able to pull off convincing SRV licks all night, because frankly I'm not at that level. That said, I would not want to be a clone of anyone. I like to steal a little from a lot of players, and then just play. Tabs are a way to help understand what the player was doing, and are helpful to identify signature riffs, but despite access to thousands of tabs, I dont play any of the songs anywhere close to note perfect. Even if I try to copy them exactly, they tend to morph into something a little different which is fine with me.

The bottom line is to do whatever increases your enjoyment of playing guitar. If pulling off a note perfect Buddy Guy riff straight from tab gives some beginning to intermediate player the confidence to continue playing, then it's all good in my opinion.

• Members

1. go out and buy/or download some SRV/clapton/the fabulous thunderbirds and many others which people might list
2. learn some of the solos/chord progressions
3. go to any of the sites listed and learn the theory behind it

good luck.....sorry this isnt really that helpful :(

• Members

The key to playing blues, and feeling it, is listening. I'd listen to anything and everything. By all means play along. But don't fall into the trap of simply noodling. Play whatever leads you want, but make sure that the majority of time you play along you're at least trying to play rhythm. Playing rhythm is the single best way to learn how to play lead. Working out chord fragments, especially the ninths and sevenths, up and down the neck begins to define the keyboard "landscape" of the guitar. All the notes you'd want to play are there too. If you take the time to play rhythm the solos will come, and you'll be a better player even before you get your lead chops together.

It helps to go back a bit. Postwar blues is a fertile source. I"m also partial to people like Lowell Fulsom and early B.B. King, in addition to all the Chicago greats. Try Jimmie Rogers too, Freddie King and of course Albert. LIghtening Hopkins. There are too many to list. Just dig in and decide your own favorites. These are the people all modern blues heroes listened to themselves.

• Members

If you wanna play rocking blues stuff, not just strict blues, but more like 60s rock-blues, buy:
Freddy King - Just Pickin'
any other Freddy King stuff

BB King - Live at the Regal
John Mayall - Bluesbreakers w/ Eric Clapton
Albert King - Born Under a Bad Sign
Allman Brothers - Live at Fillmore East

Ive learned most of my blues stuff from those 4. Besides that, loads of random other guys: Elmore James, Peter Green, T-Bone Walker, Otis Rush, Paul Butterfield Blues Band (Mike Bloomfield), Super Session (Mike Bloomfield), Magic Sam, Howlin' Wolf, and loads of other random guys.

• Members

Originally posted by 335clone

just put on a good blues CD and play along.

Ding ding ding ding ding ding! we have a winner. I can't stress enough how important this is. Just listening to other guys with your guitar in your hand will teach you a lot more that any book will probably do. It really helped me learn the phrasing of my solos and more importantly that "less is more". its not about the number of notes you play, how fast you play them, or how far you bend the strings. Its the over all feeling. give a listen to BB to understand this. look at someone like clapton...he pulled riffs right from albert king. EVA said he listen to cream non-stop until he knew every solo note for note. by listen and learning from other dudes, you pick a choose a little bit from all of them and slowly but surely you develop your own style.

• Members

1)Practice the Blues scale over I IV V Progression

2)try playing play minor major and dominant chords and different 2, 3 note voicings over each respective chord.

3) watch live blues and pay attention closely to the fingures of the blues player

4) listen for rhythmic variation

Archived