OT-ish:: Ebay advice please?

CardioGram

• Members

Hi folks,

I just won a DX200 auction on eBay but unexpectedly my PayPal account has decided not to let me use my credit card this time.

It seems to be some automatic 'risk assesment' policy... certainly I have more than enough funds on my credit card.

So, my question::

If I sign up my Bank Account with Paypal, am I losing the type of protection I would have had with my credit card? (ie ability to reverse charges?)

How about doing an Electronic Money Transfer to the seller? Is that any safer/ less safe?

Thanks very much.

• Members

After you purchase more than $500 with paypal through ebay on a credit card they require you give them a bank account #.

There are many people who have gotten screwed over by Paypal and others like me haven't had a problem. If you are worried about it, just open a dummy account at another bank and use that one for your paypal account, keep the minimum in there and you should be fine.

that said, paypal has my main bank account number, but I watch it like a hawk just from all the stories I have read about paypal.

• Members

Originally posted by blackba

After you purchase more than $500 with paypal through ebay on a credit card they require you give them a bank account #.

Do they? I had to go through the magic verification thing where they require you to fish a number off your statement, but I've never given them a bank account number (And I've exceeded that limit by quite a bit).

I do have continual problems with paypal generating duplicate charges to my credit card. These have duplicate authorisation numbers, so after 7 days they vanish, but in the meantime I have the money blocked on the card.

Isn't there a way to pay via credit card with paypal not using your account? Perhaps that's something to try.

B>

• Members

Alternatives divest you of all fraud redressments(chargebacks, etc.) conferred upon you by proxy medium(credit).

Why else do you think PayPal is so keen on Bank Transfers - it removes the Credit Co's as a sovereign agency in the mediation/resolution of contract/fraud disputes, leaving PayPal/Ebay as sole arbiters(your Bank will NOT intercede on your behalf - at least not mine).

I wouldn't sweat it unless the seller's E-cred is suspect, especially if it's a one-time deal made under duress of expediency.

• Members

Originally posted by nSCOURGE

Alternatives divest you of all fraud redressments(chargebacks, etc.) conferred upon you by proxy medium(credit).

Why else do you think PayPal is so keen on Bank Transfers - it removes the Credit Co's as a sovereign agency in the mediation/resolution of contract/fraud disputes, leaving PayPal/Ebay as sole arbiters(your Bank will NOT intercede on your behalf - at least not mine).

I wouldn't sweat it unless the seller's E-cred is suspect, especially if it's a one-time deal made under duress of expediency.

ok, thanks for that as well.

that nicely summed up what my research and reasoning led me to believe.

(i have also learned that PayPal tries to make you give up your right to do chargebacks at all... but apparently its possible to get away with it one time if you don't mind being kicked off PayPal, except they may try to freeze any money left in your PayPal account.) The more I learn about PayPal, the more i dislike it, although im sure statistically its still fine for most people.

Archived