What to Look for in a Teacher

• Members

Hi all,

I just started taking lessons. (3) I've been playing for about 9 months steady. I know some theory and play some songs from strat to end very well.

So far the 3 lessons consisted of what song am I trying to learn and the teacher helping me with them.

Is this normal or should I be looking for more?

Thanks

Paul

• Members

If your teacher's ok and you both think you're making progress then I think you're ok for now. Talk to him!! I think your lessons are quite normal so far. I personally would introduce you to whatever scale was predominant in the song at the same time (as it's in something you want to play there's more chance of you practicing it) All I would say is that when you get to learning scales, stick with it. Can be boring as hell but they set you free, and you can make em interesting with a little thought. One thing above all else; enjoy yourself!!
Peace :cool:

• Members

Wow, an audiophile and a musician, you must REALLY be broke cause that can be one expensive hobby!! I have an old Audio Research D115 MkII that needs tubes right now, an you can imagine 17 tubes including 9 6550's can be quite costly.

Anyhow as long as you are having fun and learning new stuff then it is all good. You may want to work in some theory in your lessons but that is up to you and what you want to accomplish.
I like to have an understanding of what is going on.

Are you learning new chords with each new tune?

MH

• Members

Originally posted by Audiophile

Is this normal or should I be looking for more?

Perhaps you should. Chords and scales you can learn from a book. Songs too. But what you can't get from a book is specific coaching on how to play things in the easiest manner for someone with your body and hands.

This is where the teacher comes in.

The teacher can tell you what you're doing wrong and what to do about it, how to play with less tension. Unlike a book the teacher can also listen to how you sound and pick out the things you're good at and the things you need to work more on.

• Members
Originally posted by Mr.Hanky

Wow, an audiophile and a musician, you must REALLY be broke cause that can be one expensive hobby!! I have an old Audio Research D115 MkII that needs tubes right now, an you can imagine 17 tubes including 9 6550's can be quite costly.

Anyhow as long as you are having fun and learning new stuff then it is all good. You may want to work in some theory in your lessons but that is up to you and what you want to accomplish.

I like to have an understanding of what is going on.

Are you learning new chords with each new tune?

MH

Yes, I'm having fun and Yes, learned a chord or two along the way.

To be an audiophile does come at an expense. I listen primarily to vinyl with a stereo and mono cartridge. The two cardridges alone cost $3,000.00:eek:

Listening to the music drove me to want to play it.:) It's much more fun playing music than listening.

Thanks
Paul

Archived