what exactly is a 'turnaround' for

A turnaround is usually a two bar chord progresion (or riff in the blues) that brings you back to the top of the form.

In jazz, the most common turnaround is | I VI | ii V |
It has a lot of harmonic pull back to I, and is also usually harmonically faster (the chords go by faster) during those two measures than they do in the rest of the song.

• Members
Originally posted by scooter

how and for what are they defined/used for
:confused:

From what I've understood over the years a turnaround is the part of a chorus or verse that turns the tune around to start the next chorus or verse. Like in a 12-bar blues.

|C7|C7|C7|C7|F7|F7|C7|C7|G7|G7|C7|G7|

The G7 at the end there turns us around to start the next chorus since the G7, being the V chord of the key of C, leads to the C7 (which is the I chord).

There are turnarounds that are simply chord progressions and there are complete turnaround phrases (often used in blues). I don't think they contradict each other, both are turnarounds.

• Members

Originally posted by Poparad

A turnaround is usually a two bar chord progresion (or riff in the blues) that brings you back to the top of the form.

In jazz, the most common turnaround is | I VI | ii V |

It has a lot of harmonic pull back to I, and is also usually harmonically faster (the chords go by faster) during those two measures than they do in the rest of the song.

... and the chord progression that goes | I VI | ii V | is basically the same thing as the one that goes | I | V |. The function is the same. | I VI | ii V | is just more colorful.

Archived