Tal Farlow anyone...?

• Members

Over the years of coming to this site I don't think I've ever seen the mention of one the truly great players of your instrument...Tal Farlow !! Which leads me to believe that that he has become something of a sleeper here...So as a non guitarist I take great pride in pointing to a truly wonderful guitarist...Tal Farlow, don't miss him people !...I'm sure that after one listen you'll sound alot better than you do now !!

• Members

I'm totally with you !!!

Tal Farlow is absolutely amazing !!!

I think I only own 2 CDs of him playing well-known jazz standards and I really like his playing !

Anybody interested in jazz(guitar) should check him out !!!!!!

Greetz

Lars

• Members

Originally posted by motherlode

Over the years of coming to this site I don't think I've ever seen the mention of one the truly great players of your instrument...Tal Farlow !! Which leads me to believe that that he has become something of a sleeper here...So as a non guitarist I take great pride in pointing to a truly wonderful guitarist...Tal Farlow, don't miss him people !...I'm sure that after one listen you'll sound alot better than you do now !!

Never seen him mentioned? :confused:

You've never read any of my threads.:( Tal was my teacher around 1980-1981. He was and will always be a local hero to us musicians at the Jersey shore. Not only did I study with him, he was somebody we could always watch perform locally. Plus I would run into him at the supermarket and such. I've even sat and had a drink with him at the bar before a lesson once.:D

Not only was he a great player, he was just about the nicest person you could ever meet. He was a true gentleman.:cool:

• Members

I have an article of his that starts:

"Because I was self-taught and didn't bother to learn very much about reading music, my approach has been largely visual. In other words, I can visualize the shapes or patterns of scales and chords by mentally picturing little dots on the fingerboard. {I assume he means fretboard} Using systems like this can make learning material-- whether it's chords, scales, or theory-- infinitely easier."

Anyone with the sense to write that is all right in my book.:cool:

He was definitely an early proponent of using a CAGED-type system for guitar.

But considering that he 'didn't bother to learn very much about reading music', (and he's probably refering to sheet music though TAB IS the original way for 'reading music' on guitar) and instead went with shape and patterns, it's not surprising that you haven't seen him mentioned on this forum much.

I'm afraid this forum is pretty much dominated by the 'must read standard(sic) notation to understand music' crowd. ('enforcers' might be a better description)

Of course, the CAGED and Nashville Number system can be used to learn all about music too. (and 'infinitely easier' as Tal Puts it):eek:

• Members

Tal was a true monster on guitar and a true gentleman. I got to see him a couple of times locally, once in a public library.

He was very nice, I inquired about lessons and he gave me his number, I never did follow through with it since I never felt ready.

• Members

Originally posted by Mr.Hanky

Tal was a true monster on guitar and a true gentleman. I got to see him a couple of times locally, once in a public library.

He was very nice, I inquired about lessons and he gave me his number, I never did follow through with it since I never felt ready.

The Monmouth County Eastern Branch Library? I've seen lots of those free Sunday afternoon concerts. Some good ones, too! I saw Barney Kessel play there once. You probably live right near to me!:)

• Members

Originally posted by Singingax

But considering that he 'didn't bother to learn very much about reading music', (and he's probably refering to sheet music though TAB IS the original way for 'reading music' on guitar) and instead went with shape and patterns, it's not surprising that you haven't seen him mentioned on this forum much.

TAB has only been around since the early 80's or so. Yes he is referring to reading music notation. Check out his instruction book for some great music ideas. It has both patterns and formal music notation.

• Members

well, tab and staff notation were kind of used in parallel as the guitar moved from double courses (3 to 5) to 6 single strings

during the renaissance and baroque periods the tuning wasn't particularly standardized

as we move to the 6 singlet-string instrument we know in the Romantic era -- staff notation was in wide use for the instrument

We had a thread about that, but Axe deleted it :(

• 2 months later...
  • Members

I always mention Tal on this board and others I hang out on.

Actually I've been trying to nail the head of Move, with the Red Norvo Trio. It's a bitch to hear between Tal and Red's four mallets flying. I've peudo played it for years but just this last weekend started to try and carve it out.

Does anyone know if his Guitar Method book has a transcription for Move? The info says "song transcriptions" but no details on what songs are included.

Or does anyone know where I can locate a transcription, staff or tab?

I worked on their version of Godchild to for a while about a decade ago. I still remember the head of that tune. I love that Red Norvo stuff with those two and Mingus.

• Members

Originally posted by double rocker

what exactly is CAGED? is that a mnemonic referring to actual notes, some sort of fretboard pattern, or what is it?
:confused:

it is a mnemonic.

refers to the 5 open chord shapes.

C, A, G, E, and D

• Members

Originally posted by double rocker

thanks.
:cool:

but i already know those shapes. so what does CAGED do for me?
:confused:

The concept is, no matter where you are playing on the fretboard, the shapes you use will always reflect those seen in C,A,G,E or D, making it easier to relate them and providing familiarity up and down the neck.:)

Archived