Songs for beginner--11 year old girl

Zooey

• Members

I've been called upon to teach guitar to my 11 year old neice.

Thinking back to my own guitar beginnings in 1980, I started on acoustic, strumming "Rock my Soul in the Bosom of Abraham" and other hokey folk tunes that probably aren't going to cut it with a kid today.

Assuming she isn't going to be interested in the John Denver tunes I learned 24 years ago, what should I teach her? Snow Patrol? Avril Lavigne? What can an 11 year old hear on a corporate radio station and produce a reasonable of facsimile of using just an acoustic and some basic open chords?

It's not that I'm stuck in dinosaur land without contemporary tunes to draw upon, it's just that the music I listen to either isn't appropriate for solo beginning guitar, or isn't going to appeal to a kid. For example, there are a dozen Shins tunes she could pick up easily, but I don't know of any 11 year olds listening to the Shins...do you?

I'm determined to teach her something that will excite her and get her over that initial hump. BTW, she likes to sing.

• Members

That's a tough age. Sometimes they grow up listening to a lot of parent's music and are familar with some cool stuff. Simple stuff like Ode to Joy is easy and familar to everyone.

An easy version of Sweet Home Alabama is cool to start with too.

I had a ten year old boy who hasn't heard much music. I asked him to make a list of a few songs for the next lesson. He came back with:

Old Macdonald

Twinkle Twinkle

Are You Sleeping

TNT!

I laughed when i saw that last one. I asked him where he heard it and he said on his friend's video game!!

• Members

Originally posted by buddastrat

That's a tough age. Sometimes they grow up listening to a lot of parent's music and are familar with some cool stuff. Simple stuff like Ode to Joy is easy and familar to everyone.

An easy version of Sweet Home Alabama is cool to start with too.

I had a ten year old boy who hasn't heard much music. I asked him to make a list of a few songs for the next lesson. He came back with:

Old Macdonald

Twinkle Twinkle

Are You Sleeping

TNT!

I laughed when i saw that last one. I asked him where he heard it and he said on his friend's video game!!

I think that was on the latest tony hawk skatboarding game.

• Members

For what it's worth, I am against trying to teach kids on acoustics. Give 'em a cheap strat and an amp with distortion and they will stay interested.

Ask her what she likes to listen to.

If it is acoustic, then I'm wrong.

My bet is it'll be more in the good charolette/ linkin park type stuff.

Hard to play on an acoustic.

Have fun

• Members

What a great opportunity! I'd teach her to play Liz Phair's "{censored} and Run." Imagine the effect of having an 11-year old lament how badly men treated her "even when I was 12." It would be a bit like those little girls singing "Iron Man" in the "Rock School" documentary.

• Members

Originally posted by Zooey

What can an 11 year old
hear on a corporate radio station
and produce a reasonable of facsimile of using just an acoustic and some basic open chords?

Greenday - I Walk Alone

• Members

Originally posted by 335clone

For what it's worth, I am against trying to teach kids on acoustics. Give 'em a cheap strat and an amp with distortion and they will stay interested.

Have fun

Yeah - I started lessons on an acoustic in the 2nd grade and got bored and quit. Then bought a strat and cheap amp at 15 and haven't been the same simce:cool:

• Members

I've got an 11 year old girl student (and a 9 year old girl, 9 year old boy, and more in that range)

The stuff that works for the one 11-year-old girl -- who is musically a little more mature than most, perhaps -- is some Jimmy Buffett her parents have played around her, plus some Hilary Duff tunes ("Fly" and "Shine") plus a remake of "If YOu Believe in Music" by two other Disney stars (I think their names are A.J. and Ali or something like that).

Then she's asked to learn some Dixie Chicks.

Check out the Disney channel for music targeted at that age range, and ask her to pick some tunes

• Members

Originally posted by 335clone

Have fun

I have to agree, my dad got me an acoustic when I was younger, i tinkered with it, but found it boreing, later when I finally got an electric, I really got into playing, not 'till later on did I eventually became appreaciative of the accustic.

• Members

Thanks for all your advice. I've got a session with her this weekend, and I'll find out what she wants to play.

As for the electric/acoustic question, I think it's more common to start with electric than it used to be. I wouldn't discourage a kid from picking up the electric if it would keep him or her practicing!

• Members

electric: I've got a 9 year old who plays an electric, one on acoustic who would probably prefer electric.

I've got an 11 year old who plays an electric, and one on acoustic who probably also would prefer electric.

Electric's are generally easier to play too, so that's another consideration for a very young student.

And regardless, try giving them the lightest gauge strings possible, which would be .008s, if anyone still makes those.

• Members

What about starting her off on some chromatic runs and getting her to hold the guitar correctly???

Also ask her if she intends to play mostly standing or mostly sitting, it was an invaluable pice of advice i picked up as it made my technique better in a couple of weeks, once good technique is established its not easy to go back and it will stick at such a young age!!!

Song wise, get her to write out a list of the 10 best CDs, even 5 best CDs will be a good grounding, then you can check out the track listings on the internet and have a song off of one ready for each week if you think its easy enough for her. Even borrowing a couple of CDs and listening to them your self will help!!!

Good luck!

Archived