stopping strings from ringing out

• Members

I don't quite understand what youre getting at.

The easiest solution would be not to 'pull off' a string, just take your finger off it.

when I play lead stuff, I also use a combination of left and right hand muting on the strings I'm not playing, I've never really thought about what I'm doing though, it's just always happened naturally.

• Members

I generally play with the pad of my right hand resting across the strings just in front of the bridge. Somewhat through instinct I'll press down a little when playing across open strings.

I can't recall having the problem of pulling off a string and having the open note ring out. Maybe there's a combination of events happening? I can imagine if the guitar's volume is too high, your pull off isn't quick or clean and you picking after you start the pull off, then you'd get that effect?

• Members

I'm guessing your talking about when moving your finger to another string. I think you're probably pushing down to hard on the string while you're pulling off. Try playing the note with as little strength in your finger as you can while still making the note ring out well. Then when you're playing lead you want to pull off lightly so that there is a split second where your finger is still touching the string (dampening it), but the string isn't touching the fretboard anymore. It helps to play loud because you'll hear your mistakes more and learn to fix them.

• Members

How do you mute one string while keeping all the rest unmuted? It would seem impossible to me to do that but I've seen some tabs that had that type of stuff.

I was trying to learn Plush by STP but the chorus has one muted string and I dont know how to do that :(

• Members

If you mean it's a chord, and there's a muted string in the middle somewhere, eg: 3x0033 (just picked one at random there..) usually I just have one of my other fingers that's fretting touch the string from the side and keep it from ringing.

In this chord for exampe, I would use my pinky and ring finger on the 3rd fret of the B and high E string, then my middle finger on the 3rd fret of the low E, which I would then bend down slightly to mute the open A string.. hope that makes some sense and is what you're looking for :)

• Members

yeh sorry i didn't explain too well. I have no problem with muting strings for any chord shapes, but it's with lead guitar, on high gain/volume i'm going up the scale and as I pull my fretting finger off to move to the next string it makes it ring out unintentionally.

Why is this so hard to explain damnit!!!!

Surely this is the main problem lead guitarists have when learning.

• Members

Originally posted by Slave_New_Wurld

yeh sorry i didn't explain too well. I have no problem with muting strings for any chord shapes, but it's with lead guitar, on high gain/volume i'm going up the scale and as I pull my fretting finger off to move to the next string it makes it ring out unintentionally.

Why is this so hard to explain damnit!!!!

Surely this is the main problem lead guitarists have when learning.

The guitar is a noisy instrument; muting unwanted sounds is an enormous part of developing control over your technique. If we didn't have to mute, we'd be a LOT better (those guys who use string dampeners aren't stupid!) in terms of clean playing. Distortion makes the noises much more of a problem.

There are two main factors in muting--your picking hand, and your fret hand index finger. The former *generally* deals with the lower strings, and the latter deals with the higher ones. When you lift a finger (or fingers) from one string, it is going to want to ring out, so you've got to stop it with one of your hands.

Dampening the bass strings with the palm of the picking hand is a matter of posture. Muting with your index finger is a bit trickier, and requires constant adjustment. You just need to lightly touch the string to prevent or stop it from ringing, usually using the side, edge, or even the tip of it (it depends on the situation).

Archived