Help!

limester816

• Members

So I got into the Honor Jazz Band this year (on guitar), and I expected some easy lead sheets.. but no! For some of you this stuff is probably pretty easy, but it gets messy sometimes (especially at letter Q). So someone help me out here. Just give me some tips or cool voicings or something. Oh and I accidentally put the last 2 sheets out of order.

souseoftheborder.jpg:)

The first rule of big band guitar playing is too play as little as possible.

The chord symbols given are what the horn section is doing, rather than indications of the specific voicings you should be doing. Since there is also usually a piano player in a band, that's even less reason for you to have to be playing these big fat chords. Playing too thick of voicings tends to muddy up the rhythm section in a big band.

So where does that leave you? Well, the only really important notes that you have to play are the root, 3rd, and 7th of the chord. That's it!

Since the bass player is covering the root, that's one less note you have to concern yourself with. It took doing some gigs on bass for me to realize how intrusive and muddy it is when guitarists use voicings with the roots on the bottom two strings.

So basically, all you have to do is play 2 note voicings made up of the 3rd and the 7th of each chord. Freddy Green, who is the father of big band rhythm playing (he played with Count Basie his entire career), only played these kinds of voicings. There are times when you might want to spice things up a bit, but in reality, that's all you need to do, and most of the time, it's all you really should be doing.

Well, by following the chart, you will be doing what sounds right. Also, I forgot to mention that as a big band rhythm guitarist you'll just be playing slightly seperated quarter notes.

As far as keeping your place, listen for harmonic landmarks in the tune. For example, a measure that moves around by half step, or the resolution of a ii V I. Also, things tend to be in 4 bar phrases, so if you can hear/feel a 4 bar phrase, you can at least have an idea where you should probably be at.

Archived