Need instructional book and DVD for intermediate guitarist. Suggestions?

• Members

Hey Guys,

I am a self taught intermediate guitarist and am looking to expand my musicality. I would love to take lessons, but I don't have the time or $$$, so I figure an instructional book with DVD would be awesome.

Being self taught, I do not know any music theory. I mean I know major and minor scales, and the names of a few chords, but that is it theory wise. Otherwise I really am just playing by ear. Like I have to look really hard to figure out which note I am playing, and hell, I even forget the concept of the circle of fifths. But my playing and technique are decent just from playing so long, and having a decent ear. I would like to learn modes and beginning jazz guitar a well as all the basics that I fundamentally know and utilize, but maybe haven't learned in a thoery perspective.

So can anybody recommend me a book with DVD (I think the latter really helps me grasp concepts from pages of a book). I want something that will teach me. What I DON'T want is a beginner book, some lame "playing with the pros" where the playing is amazing but you don't learn anything, or something that just teaches you licks and snippets. I WANT something that makes sense for progressing on the continuum of guitar playing.

I think I will get Tomo's book/DVD, but I think I also need to get something to take me step-by-step through music theory. Are those Monster Guitar Method books any good? Thanks for looking and sorry for the long post.

• Members

Originally posted by loosegroove

I think I will get Tomo's book/DVD, but I think I also need to get something to take me step-by-step through music theory. Are those Monster Guitar Method books any good? Thanks for looking and sorry for the long post.

I really like Tomo's DVD.

Regarding the Monster Method, I got Vol. 5 (modes) and I think I prefer to learn this topic from a book. The benefit of the DVD is that it also comes with a CD with backing tracks. I was a bit bored with the DVD and have not seen it all, so I can't really comment further.

I have enjoyed the books Practical Theory for Guitar (Don Latarski) and Harmony and Theory (Keith Wyatt & Carl Schroeder). The first one comes with a CD. Both can help you improve your knowledge of theory.

• Members

The Guitar Handbook is great although it tries to cover a lot of stuff. While it's all great info, sometimes it's vague and not in an understandable order, especially the theory stuff.

I've started some lessons on my site called the Beginner to Advanced Series.

You ought to check them out.

It starts with the most important fundamentals of theory...the Intervals. Then it moves into Chord Construction.

There's more on the way but these two will keep you busy and give you a great foundation for moving into just about any other concepts.

These are the basic tools, you need them...go to my site :)

I've been teaching this stuff for over 20 years and finally got it on the web.

Archived