Pentatonics - playing outside the "box"

Knottyhed

• Members

Hi, i've been lurking here and posting long enough and thought it was time i actually stuck something useful up here :D. I've seen alot of "stuck in pentatonic hell" posts so i've stuck together a few exercises and licks that some of you frustrated pentatonic noodlers might find useful.

I'm not sure how "standardised" my tab is - so i've stuck a key at the top

Bend = ()

Hammer/Pull off = ^

Vibrato = ~~~~~

Slide = /

Ex1

------------------------------------------15-17-19-

-------------------------------12-15-17------------

---------------------9-12-14-----------------------

-------------7-9-12---------------------------------

-------5-7-10---------------------------------------

-3-5-7----------------------------------------------

Ex2

----------------------------------------15-17-19-

---------------------------------15-17------------

----------------------12-14-16-------------------

---------------12-14------------------------------

--------12-14-------------------------------------

-12-15--------------------------------------------

Ex3

---------------------------------10-12-15--

-----------------------8-10-12--------------

-------------------7-9------------------------

-------------5-7-9---------------------------

-----2-5-/7----------------------------------

-3-5------------------------------------------

Lick1

---------12-15^12------------------------------------------------------

-15(17)------------15-15^12-11-12^11---------------------------

------------------------------------------------14-12~~~~------------

----------------------------------------------------------------14~~~~-

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lick2

-----15----------------------------------------------------------------------

-/17---17^15-12-15^12-----------------------------------------------

-------------------------------15~~~-15-14-12~~~-14^12~~~----

--------------------------------------------------------------------------14-

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lick3

--------17(19)-(19)-17^15----------------------------------------

-----15------------------------17^15^12--------------------------

-/16----------------------------------------14-12----------12-/14-

----------------------------------------------------14-12-11--------

------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Exercises 1-3 are simple pentatonic scale exercises that go up and down the neck, the tab is ascending, but play it descending too. Avoid sliding to the notes outside the standard boxes, actually stretch and fret it. As you go through each of the standard 5 box shapes try and visualise the shape you're passing through - the idea is that you'll get a feel for moving from one shape to the next.

Licks 1-3 are just bluesy sounding licks that stretch outside the standard box and demonstate 3 different places to use the b5 note in the blues scale.

All the licks and exercises are in the key of Gmaj/Em but obviously are best practiced in all keys.

Anyway - hope it's of use to some of you.

• Members

It's interesting to see how the design of the guitar is exploited to facilitate easier methods of playing certain note sequences and melodic figures, although finger length and flexibility have a factor in determining the most practical note locations for the individual player to select to play a desired series of notes. This may force some players to use more difficult methods than others need to use to play the same things.

• Members

Originally posted by Paragraph51

It's interesting to see how the design of the guitar is exploited to facilitate easier methods of playing certain note sequences and melodic figures, although finger length and flexibility have a factor in determining the most practical note locations for the individual player to select to play a desired series of notes. This may force some players to use more difficult methods than others need to use to play the same things.

I agree that people may find different ways of fingering the same thing, but this doesn't mean that a guitarist should only find one way of playing a phrase.

Obviously the exercises above contain all the same notes as a normal 'box' pentatonic. However, knowing how to smoothly transition between the boxes is very valuable IMO. It makes your playing sound more interesting. Being able to play outside of the standard shapes opens up a whole lot of phrasing options you wouldn't have open to you when playing the normal 5 box shapes that alot of people stick with. Also if you're mixing chords in their you might want a particular note on a particular part of the fret board.

Your point also overlooks the fact that the same note on a different string has different dynamics - an E on the 12th fret of the 6th (thickest wound) string is the same note as the E open on the first string, but they sound very different.

• Members

great posts! one thing I have found useful for escaping the pentatonic box is developing modes of the pentatonic. For instance if you are in the Key of C, you would start your A pentatonic on C and end it on on D, and so on. With some experimentation you'll find some really cool extensions this way!

• Members

Knottyhead,

I've been doing alot of what you've outlined already, but some of your licks are what frustrates me:

I CAN'T MAKE THOSE STRETCHES?

7 fret stretch? Forget it.

I feel like I waste time trying to learn these stretches because I physically can't make them. Do you really stretch all the way or is it a "target the note and hit it" type thing?

Thanks. KY

• Members

Originally posted by kyoun1e

Knottyhead,

I've been doing alot of what you've outlined already, but some of your licks are what frustrates me:

I CAN'T MAKE THOSE STRETCHES?

7 fret stretch? Forget it.

I feel like I waste time trying to learn these stretches because I physically can't make them. Do you really stretch all the way or is it a "target the note and hit it" type thing?

Thanks. KY

I don't think there's any 7 note stretches in those licks dude! Unless I tabbed it wrong (but i just checked). Where are you looking?

The licks are pretty generic, but the important thing they demonstrate is the use/sound of flattened 5th notes. You probably know that Em/G maj/ the E mixodian mode are all the same scale 'shape'?

However, obviously the b5 note changes depending on whether you're playing in Em or G maj. Licks 1 and 2 have a flattened 'b', lick 3 a flattened 'd'

G maj = G, A, B, C, (D), E, F# (D = v note of scale)

E min = E, F#, G, A, (B), C, D (B = v note of scale)

Obviously you can apply this to any pentatonic pattern in any key.

• Members

Sorry. I'm an idiot. You're right.

Although the 6 note stretch that is 3-5-7 doesn't feel too comfy. 1-3-5 is worse.

Another obstacle that tends to keep me "in the box" more than I want.

KY

3-5-7 I finger with the first, second and 4th fingers. Also bare in mind that it isn't particularly desirable that you leave the first finger anchored on the 3rd fret when playing the other 2 notes. Keep practicing those sorts of stretches and your hand will get stronger and more flexible :D

• Members

You know, I never thought about that...lifting the finger off the 3 and then isolating what was going on for the 5-7 stretch with the other two fingers.

Thing is, if you want to do repeated fast hammer ons across frets 3-5-7 here you really need to have those three fingers all on the frets.

KY

• Members

You know, I never thought about that...lifting the finger off the 3 and then isolating what was going on for the 5-7 stretch with the other two fingers.

Thing is, if you want to do repeated fast hammer ons across frets 3-5-7 here you really need to have those three fingers all on the frets.

KY

Yup that's true, but if playing through a scale - best to lift itoff so it's ready to use elsewhere IMO. Plus it makes longer stretches easier. :thu:

the following major scale pattern

---------------------------------5-7-8-----
--------------------------5-7-8------------
-------------------4-5-7-------------------
-------------4-5-7-------------------------
-------3-5-7-------------------------------
-3-5-7-------------------------------------

would be impossible to play up to speed if you leave your trailing finger rooted to the spot

Archived