Why does my AN200 sound sooo much better than my Micron

plumber

• Members

I happen to own both an AN200 and a Micron. I never took the time to A-B the sounds of the two- Your post has inspired me to do so.

I can tell you that since I bought the Micron, I hardly have touched the AN200.

I think that part of the problem with the Micron is that the patches cover so many bases- There are a lot of presets in there for pads, organs, pianos, etc that you don't see on the AN200. The An200 specializes in groove type sounds.

I know that one of the reason that I bought the Micron is for Minimoog emulation. I basically took about a half a dozen of the factory presets, and tweaked them to taste- this thing is great.

The keyboard action on the Micron really sucks, though. I can't play a lead on it, unless I have my main keyboard midi'd to it.

• Members

had the AN200 for about 2 weeks. sounded completely fake, uninspiring and programmability was a joke. I sold it right away for substantially less just to be rid of it.

the micron on the other hand is part of nearly every production I do.

I thought two synths coudn't be further apart sound-wise, funny you kinda agree, but see it the other way round.

• Members

Originally posted by plumber

plus Kaoss pad plus Adrenalinn 2 plus AirFX = HEAVEN

one would think that the original signal woudn't matter that much any more. besides, these are pretty crappy fx in my book, aside from the adrenalinn 2 which has a few uses.

• Members

Originally posted by rjx

I dunno why more people didn't buy a DX200?? They were $200 (brand new) for the longest time and you get all those sexy FM sounds. grrr

I really wanted one of those for a long time. Hardware DX Synth with all kinds of goodies and a software editor, very sexy and very cheap!

But getting a synth dedicated to DX sounds is kinf os silly now that I have 2 Nord Mods.. still... those DX200 are pretty bad ass...

• Members

Originally posted by Umbra

I buy the an200 and dx200 when I want a plug in card. It's cheaper than buying the card itself.

Exactly.

And yes I have down loaded {censored} loads of micron patches from t'interweb

But have you actually tweaked on the Micron? It's not very difficult in spite of the lack of knobs due to the very clear synth architecture, the keyboard shortcuts, and the well-written manual and quick start. Lots of buried treasure in there waiting to be explored. :)

• Members
Lots of buried treasure in there waiting to be explored.

I thought it was mostly air in there and maybe a circuit board or two? But if there is treasure.... well I might have to go to the music store with a screwdriver.

• Members

Originally posted by rjx

On a side note:

I dunno why more people didn't buy a DX200?? They were $200 (brand new) for the longest time and you get all those sexy FM sounds. grrr

Everyone already downloaded FM7 for free.

• Members

And returning to the original point, using a midi keyboard to control the AN as purely a sound source and tweeking from the front panel or software interface the sounds you can get in next to no time are amazing/facemelting/speaker destroying. All before you effect it externally. Using it a purely a groovebox is completely missing the point

Yes, I have tweeked the micron but it is just too polite for my taste.

Basically what i'm saying is relatively old technology (AN) in a similar price band is to my jaded ear massively superior to what a lot of people are currently saying is a great product (Micron)

Perhaps someone can persuade me otherwise

• Members

Originally posted by piano39

I know that one of the reason that I bought the Micron is for Minimoog emulation. I basically took about a half a dozen of the factory presets, and tweaked them to taste- this thing is great.

Hey Piano39 - (& Birdy as well, I know you have a Micron too) - The Micron does a great Mini emulation (IMHO), but it seems that the filter cutoff of the modeled Moog 4-pole filter might be off...at least when I compare it to Arturia's Minimoog V (not having a REAL one to compare it to). For instance, if the Arutria is set to around 500H, I find I need to set the Mircon to about 1.2KH before they sound the same. I've done this with the Resonance completely off on both units so I don't think I'm missing anything there. Have you found this is well, or am I doing something wrong? Of course, the fault probably lies with my lack of familiarity with the Mini coupled with my paltry programming skills.

Slight OT...sorry :wave:

Guest Anonymous

Yes, I have tweeked the micron but it is just too polite for my taste.

B-I-N-G-O

The buzz factor

The AN200/AN1x/EA-1//EMX-1/MS2000/Radias all have this cool bite/buzz to there sound. Call it cold, harsh and digital if you like. I call it a cool sound that works great with analog. Korg licensed the Physical Modeling from Yamaha who licensed/created it from/with Stanford University.

;)

• Members

Hey Piano39 - (& Birdy as well, I know you have a Micron too) - The Micron does a great Mini emulation (IMHO), but it seems that the filter cutoff of the modeled Moog 4-pole filter might be off...at least when I compare it to Arturia's Minimoog V (not having a REAL one to compare it to). For instance, if the Arutria is set to around 500H, I find I need to set the Mircon to about 1.2KH before they sound the same. I've done this with the Resonance completely off on both units so I don't think I'm missing anything there. Have you found this is well, or am I doing something wrong? Of course, the fault probably lies with my lack of familiarity with the Mini coupled with my paltry programming skills.

I am no expert on Minimoogs- I played a half a dozen of them over the years and always wanted to own one. So, I can't tell you how closely the Micron emulates a Mini. I can tell you that it seems to nail the spirit of the thing. If you listen to early '70s Minimoog masters- Emerson, Jan Hammer, etc- you can do these things very convincingly on a Micron (provided that you midi it to a keyboard w/ better action).

Also, If you listen to Carlos's Switched-on-Bach records- the Moog simply "sparkles" I know of no other word to describe it. Nothing else sounds like that, but the Micron comes close.

• Members

I am no expert on Minimoogs- I played a half a dozen of them over the years and always wanted to own one. So, I can't tell you how closely the Micron emulates a Mini. I can tell you that it seems to nail the spirit of the thing. If you listen to early '70s Minimoog masters- Emerson, Jan Hammer, etc- you can do these things very convincingly on a Micron (provided that you midi it to a keyboard w/ better action).

The Mini is actually a very simple synthesizer so outside of the sound of the Moog filter (which has a lot to do with the Mini sound) it's easy to emulate the things a Mini can do on a lot of synths.

It's the actual SOUND that's hard to emulate.

• Members

Call me naive....

How can you download FM7 for free?

Here ya go...

No, here YOU go - if you ever post a link to cracked software again, you're gone for good. IOW, we'll ban you from HC for life. :evil:

Definitely NOT cool!

First, last and ONLY warning.

Phil O'Keefe

Archived