Selling Gear Internationally - Yay or Nay?

GigMan

• Members

So I put an ad to sell my Korg Triton Le on The Mode - website for musicians -

http://www.themode.com/

...for finding gigs, bands looking for singers/players, gear for sale, etc... and some guy named "Mike Elvis" from England emailed me that he's interested - said he runs a "private sale rep/agency" and is "buying all these for supply/resale" :confused::eek:

Anyone ever hear of this character or run across this name (Mike Elvis) before? I'm thinking it's a made up name used for doing business - kind of like when you call to answer a job ad in the newspaper and ask for "Mr. Green" or whatever, there is no "Mr. Green" but they know that you're calling to answer the ad...

He does give an address and phone - but still, even if he's legit, I have no idea what it even would cost me to call England (from good ole New Jersey, USA), much less ship something there.

Even though he's willing to pay my price for my Triton Le ($750 + shipping, incl. case) I'm wondering if I should just pass - selling/shipping internationally seems like a hassle... :(

• Members

To my mind its not more risky just because its international. Have you read p-p-p-powerbook? I'm sure that doesnt apply to all transactions between the US and UK. I would suggest looking up the phone and address online. Then calling, it shouldn't be too much for the peace of mind. You could ask him for references and then contact them. Then get him to send the money before you ship. I've bought 2 similar priced items from the US and it saved me a lot of money in one case (Kurz pcr2 and old CX-3). Lots of items are just more available in your country or just generally cheaper. I'm gratefu when people are willing to send outside the US. Shipping/packing should be the same amount of hassle no matter where you send it. You can ask him to pay in your currency.

Good luck

• Members

Hey GigMan!

I've sold stuff overseas, to both HC KSS members and eBay people. The latter is a bit risky, especially since you don't really know the person on the other end. I think private classifieds sites (like HC and the one in your link) are even more dangerous due to limited accountability.

Ask for an international money order or personal check and wait until it is cleared before you do anything. No PayPal!

Good luck! :)

• Members

Originally posted by King Julian

To my mind its not more risky just because its international. Have you read p-p-p-powerbook? I'm sure that doesnt apply to all transactions between the US and UK. I would suggest looking up the phone and address online. Then calling, it shouldn't be too much for the peace of mind. You could ask him for references and then contact them. Then get him to send the money before you ship. I've bought 2 similar priced items from the US and it saved me a lot of money in one case (Kurz pcr2 and old CX-3). Lots of items are just more available in your country or just generally cheaper. I'm gratefu when people are willing to send outside the US. Shipping/packing should be the same amount of hassle no matter where you send it. You can ask him to pay in your currency.

Good luck

King -

I'd sell to you w/no problem... :thu:

I guess I'm just a little skittish about this :( - I forgot to mention that before I got the email from this "Mike Elvis" I got an email from a "Mike Cool"... and I think they were both Yahoo! email accounts - which are free & easy to set up to disguise one's true Internet affilation, as opposed to an AOL, Verizon, Comcast or Optimum Online account.

Lookin up address + phone is a good idea, though.

• Members

Originally posted by scubyfan

Hey GigMan!

I've sold stuff overseas, to both HC KSS members and eBay people. The latter is a bit risky, especially since you don't really know the person on the other end. I think private classifieds sites (like HC and the one in your link) are even more dangerous due to limited accountability.

Ask for an international money order or personal check and wait until it is cleared before you do anything. No PayPal!

Good luck!
:)

Henry - what's shakin'!? :D Don't see too much of you here that much anymore - maybe you got smart & decided to live your life IRL (In the Real World) instead of virtually...? :eek::p

Good advice though - take an international money order. However, there's no friggin' way I'd take a personal check from England. Just too risky & would take too long to clear, I think...

• Members

Originally posted by GigMan

Henry - what's shakin'!?
:D
Don't see too much of you here that much anymore - maybe you got smart & decided to live your life IRL (In the Real World) instead of virtually...?
:eek::p

Good advice though - take an international money order. However, there's no friggin' way I'd take a personal check from England. Just too risky & would take too long to clear, I think...

Well, as long as it clears, right? Or you can request a bank transfer, but the only time I've had that done has cost about $40 for the sender! :eek:

And I'm back! :D

• Members

Doesn't really make a difference and you don't have to worry if he's a scammer so long as you have the money in your hand before you ship. I have had no problem buying internationally and I think the risk is always the buyer's. Just tell him international money order or bank transfer and check the money is in your account before you ship.

• Members

Originally posted by niacin

Doesn't really make a difference and you don't have to worry if he's a scammer so long as you have the money in your hand before you ship. I have had no problem buying internationally and I think the risk is always the buyer's. Just tell him international money order or bank transfer and check the money is in your account before you ship.

I think this part of the problem with scams. The banks claim back the money from you after they have told you it has cleared, only to welsh on that later when they do their real checks.

• Members

ok, so check with the bank and make sure they have processed the transfer, not just nominally placed the amount in your account subject to clearance. Or open a new account, withdraw the money, close the account.

I am left wondering though why someone would be prepared to pay a wad of cash for shipping for a board that is surely available at competitive prices in the UK. And it might require a power transformer. And yeh a bank transfer will cost around $30. Anyways. I've never had any problems, but if you feel unsure just bequeath it to evilbay (available to US only).

edit: watch this and see if your price is really gonna save him any:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Korg-Triton-Le-61-Note-Music-Workstation_W0QQitemZ7404479737QQcategoryZ38089QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Archived