Theory beyond the circle of fifths

• Members

I went to lessons for a few years a long time ago. When studying theory, we went as far as the 7 modes of the major scale and the circle of fifths. We also mentioned (but never seriously practiced) the seven modes of the melodic minor scale.

What is there beyond?

• Members

Originally posted by Li Shenron

I went to lessons for a few years a long time ago. When studying theory, we went as far as the 7 modes of the major scale and the circle of fifths. We also mentioned (but never seriously practiced) the seven modes of the melodic minor scale.

What is there beyond?

http://www.dolmetsch.com/introduction.htm for starters.

• Members
Originally posted by Li Shenron

What is there beyond?

Everything else really :) Seriously.

Think of all the music you've heard, music you've never heard. Think of all the music that's not been heard yet.

And think that all of that music can and will be explained somewhere by someone at sometime.

That's how much stuff is still out there to learn.

• Members

Your topic and content dont exactly match, so I am going to just answer the topic.

Some theory or tricks you can pull from the circle of fifths are:

Order of Sharps/Flats. FCGDAEB... moves in 5ths from F. This is the order that sharps come in.

Also note that starting from the center C, is the natural (no sharps/flats) key. To its right is G which has one sharp, F. To the left is F which has one flat, B. The same pattern exists as you rotate in any direction. C->G->D has 2 sharps, F and C. etc

Major minor modes. Which ever key you are in, major or minor, preceeding and following are the other major/minor modes. For inscance, G Major. Preceeding is C Major which is G Lydian and following is D Major, which is G Mixolydian. For minor E minor, preceeding is A minor which is E Phygian and preceeding is B minor which is E Dorian.

Prob other useful stuff, but thats all that comes to mind so far.

• Members

Also on the Circle of Fifths. The ii-V-I are laid out in order.

Say the Key is C...move up two spots clockwise and there's C's ii chords Root, D. Then moving back one is G. Make the D a Dm, the G a G Major, and C a Major and you have Dm G C...ii-V-I in C. This works for every key.

Say the Key is D. Two clockwise steps from D is E (or Em in out case), back one to A, and back one to D. Em A D, ii-V-I in D.

Also, let's not forget that the it's the Circle of of Fifth when going clockwise, but it's also the Circle of Fourths going counter clockwise. Great for "backcycling fourths" progressions. I'm sure this must've been mentioned.

• Members

Here's the thing about the circle of fifth that the other guys are sort of alluding to
the circle of fifths isn't a process diagram, it's merely a map

The fifth is a basic unit of motion (the unison 1:1 and the octave 2:1 are simpler, but they provide no realy motion as they don't move you out of a pitch class) -- the fifth 3:2 (and the fourth it's compliment) is the next simplest ratio and provides for motion

in a veery real way it is the basic unit in western music (where the unison and octave are sort of identities)

Archived