Please Critique my Student!

PRSnotPOS

• Members

I recently started teaching guitar theory. I would like you guys to critique this one particular student. Sometimes I start to get partial towards some of my students and I like to get second opinions about their progress. This is a little jam exercise. I had him play over some chords that I made up. Even though this is one of my best students he gets discouraged sometimes and I'm not sure why. Let me know what you think about his playing. That's him fooling around in the beginning and then I come in with the chords. Thank you!

http://media.putfile.com/Lesson-1-61

• Members

Pros: he has a nice sounding vibrato. very nice. Also it sounds like he is pretty confident with his strumming and muting.

Cons: You can tell that he is lost at the beginning. He sounds like he is searching rather blindly to find the right notes, which also affected his timing. Also his phrases seemed like they were not well thought-out; a classic case of not being able to hear the notes beforehand.

Overall he isn't terrible, he just sounds like he's inexperienced at improvising.

• Members

Yes, I got his permission to post this. I didn't reveal his name anyways so it doesn't really matter. I was testing his abitlity to improvise (something we've been trying to work on a lot lately). I wanted him to be able to hear the notes in the chords I was playing and then figure out what scale I was playing out of. Oh well... back to the drawing board I guess.

Archived