I have a six year old....

slodge

• Members

I have a six year old who is bugging me to teach her how to play. I don't really know how to do it, and I've learned from my mother how hard it is to give music lessons to your own kid. I'm gonna ask around where I take lessons, but does anyone have any opinions/experience with regard to an appropriate age to start? Any other tips? I don't want her to get frustrated and give up on music, but I want to encourage her.

• Members

I just show my kids all the stuff that inspires people over and over to play guitar...things like Smoke on the Water, Iron Man, Crazy Train, 7 Nation Army, etc...

Just give her bits and peice of some of these easy songs to play, if she'll truely interested she'll take it from there and practice them over and over.

After my kids saw School of Rock they ALL wanted to play guitar. Some do it daily some to it evermonth or so (I have 4 kids).

Just give her some thing to mess around with now if she's interested she'll be back wanting more stuff from you.

When all my kids were little I'd set them up with my all my pedals, a 10W practice amp and a little guitar I have for them and just let them mess around by themselves. ALL the kids dig that!

Archived