Mnemonics

• Members

These are rhymes which help you remember things

I have a growing collection partly because I am teaching my kids to play

If you are reading guitar music and you want to memorise the notes between spaces on treble clef remember "F.A.C.E spells face." My piano teacher taught me that 30 years ago.

However I have found one which starts at D which is below the line. "Don't Forget Aunty Catches Everything". My sister is called Catherine so I use "Don't Forget Aunty Catherine's Elephant". However that might be too surreal to be memorable for the rest you.

We also have to learn notes on the lines. " every great big dragon flies" - that comes from a kiddy's book (would you believe it)

One for note in the spaces of a bass clef "all cars eat gas". Well actually they don't here in UK, we call it petrol but I have remembered the ryme for 30years nonetheless.

For the Circle of Fifths "Constipated Grannies Don't Always Eat Bran Fibre" - mine that one - beware that F is F#

The order in which notes become sharp as you go through different keys -

"finding customers generates demand and extra business" - I used to be an accountant - I like that one.

and for catholics the circle of fifths and a description of the sacament with it - "flat bread eaten after divine grace"

the order that notes become flat is - "breathe easily and don't get cold" - strange advice - so I better stop there.

love to hear more foolishness..

• Members

9 times out of 10, i's easier to memorize it directly. plus you don't have to memorize a million acronyms that way.

Works for some, but mnemonics are great learning tools for many. I teach plenty of kids and they help. Sometimes, I give them to the adults, too.

For the guitar strings--

Elephants And Donkeys Grow Big Ears.

For the lines, I had been taught and I teach--

Every Good Boy Does Fine

For the sharps--

Fat Cats Go Down Alleys Eating Birds

For the flats--

BEAD Gum Candy Fruit

(not too catchy, I know)

Archived