Straying from the path

• Members

Found

that describes how I've taught myself to play guitar down to a T!

Like he says 98% of guitarists do this and I can't disagree. I don't play in a band but I've been playing for about 5 or 6 years and haven't really improved too much since the first couple of years I don't think. Maybe I should get some kind of focus or plan.

So who has done better than this, without the aid of a teacher?

• Members

So, what was it again? Learn basic chords, learn barre chords, learn a few simple songs in all keys, sing the root notes to the chord progressions... good stuff!

I read an interview with Herb Ellis where he said something like "When you can sing anything you can read and play anything you sing then you're starting to get there". When all those are locked in, you can sing it, write it, read it and play it, then you have more chops than most guitarists will ever have. in their lives.

• Members

The important thing I've found when you hit a wall in your advancement is to get organized. When you practice, practice with a goal of learning something, not just some new song that's well within your abilities, practice a concept that you are not good at. You must practice your weaknesses or you will advance so slowly that it may actually seem like you're stuck in a rut.

1. Identify an aspect of your playing that you want to improve.
2. Determine what steps you will take to achieve your goal.
3. Schedule time when you will practice it, and actually do it.

If you follow those steps and are not improving, maybe consider taking 1 or 2 lessons from an experienced teacher so he can determine your most detrimental weaknesses and at least get you pointed in the right direction.

Hope this helps!

• Members

I had this conversation with one of my teachers once. I had taken up the guitar again, wanted him to give me some hints on what to do in an open tuning.

- This is great, you're showing me some very basic stuff.
- I'm not sure it gets more advanced than this. The difference between you and the greats isn't that they're playing more advanced stuff. They're playing the same basic things but they're doing it better.

That was kinda rough but it is also true.

• Members

The "On Topic" section of my lesson site is specifically for the guitarist who has played for a while and can't see out if their predetermined patterns, mucle memory, or plan old run of the mill licks/music.

Each topic is it's own self contained, and comprehensive, lesson. They are to give the intermediate guitarist some new voices, techniques, answer some questions not too many other people are dealing with, and basically give you another 5 years or so of a new voice to exploit.

And, of course the Beginers to Advanced Series is a logically path to understanding music and how it relates to guitar and how it relates to everything you've played so far. This is a program lesson that you start at the top and work your way down. There's enough information in there that even the most seasoned guitarists will learn something new or help fill in the gaps, but it's also laid out in and organized way that a novice can start at the beginning and get a solid understanding of MANY concepts...important concepts as far as music development goes.

http://lessons.mikedodge.com

Check them out, you won't be sorry.

I'll also offer you my holding ground for new tutorials coming up at my forum: http://gennation.jconserv.net/index.php

I'll also take questions there too.

I've been playing seriously for over 30 years, played pro for about 17 years of it, still play steady, and have taught for over 20 years. Now I spend my free time delivering these lessons free on the Internet...take advantage of them!

Archived