New Video Guitar Lesson 9-15-07

Mark Wein

Hey Folks! It's the last of my Minor Pentatonic Scale Lessons this week...the lesson can be found on my blog at:http://blog.markwein.com

This weeks installment is on sequences in the Pentatonic scale...then for the next few weeks I will have a batch of "One-off" lessons that will give you some fun lead guitar "goodies"...after that, some fretboard theory!

• Members

Hey Folks! It's the last of my Minor Pentatonic Scale Lessons this week...the lesson can be found on my blog at:
http://blog.markwein.com

This weeks installment is on sequences in the Pentatonic scale...then for the next few weeks I will have a batch of "One-off" lessons that will give you some fun lead guitar "goodies"...after that, some fretboard theory!

Another great lesson Mark! :thu:

I was waiting for the last part with the descending. Was working on that one. It's pretty cool for getting a good metal or hard rock thing going. The side to side technique I've found in songs like the Stones(on It's Only Rock n' Roll) Time Waits for No One, and Skynyrd's Simple Man.

I'll be looking forward to the next installment and fretboard theory. Since I can't play right now, I've been doing some "book work" trying to break down the fret board using the CAGED system, Guitar Fretboard Workbook, and intervals. Hehe. Still working on learning all the note names too. Damn short term memory loss. I'm getting there though. :)

Another great lesson Mark!
:thu:

I was waiting for the last part with the descending. Was working on that one. It's pretty cool for getting a good metal or hard rock thing going. The side to side technique I've found in songs like the Stones(on It's Only Rock n' Roll) Time Waits for No One, and Skynyrd's Simple Man.

I'll be looking forward to the next installment and fretboard theory. Since I can't play right now, I've been doing some "book work" trying to break down the fret board using the CAGED system, Guitar Fretboard Workbook, and intervals. Hehe. Still working on learning all the note names too. Damn short term memory loss. I'm getting there though.
:)

The Guitar Fretboard Workbook is really good...I use it with all of my students who are even mildly serious...thats a book I wish I had written!

The more you work through that book, the better your note name recognition should be. It doesn't hurt to say the names of the notes out loud as you are working the exercises out on the guitar neck. Most of my students won't really get counting rhythms or understanding their fretboard right until they start reciting the stuff out loud as they are playing the exercise. When they think they are counting internally or thinking of the note name that they are playing they don't usually catch their mistakes, or don't realize they they have stopped thinking about the notes as they get into something that is difficult for them.

One thing you can also do to make the CAGED stuff work better for you is to connect the patterns....try going up the "C" pattern and down the "A" pattern or vice versa. Do this in different combinations and in different keys. It gets really easy to get trapped in each box instead of the 5 box patterns becoming one large fretboard pattern, which I think is where you would rather be with your fretboard!

• Members

The Guitar Fretboard Workbook is really good...I use it with all of my students who are even mildly serious...thats a book I wish I had written!

The more you work through that book, the better your note name recognition should be. It doesn't hurt to say the names of the notes out loud as you are working the exercises out on the guitar neck. Most of my students won't really get counting rhythms or understanding their fretboard right until they start reciting the stuff out loud as they are playing the exercise. When they think they are counting internally or thinking of the note name that they are playing they don't usually catch their mistakes, or don't realize they they have stopped thinking about the notes as they get into something that is difficult for them.

One thing you can also do to make the CAGED stuff work better for you is to connect the patterns....try going up the "C" pattern and down the "A" pattern or vice versa. Do this in different combinations and in different keys. It gets really easy to get trapped in each box instead of the 5 box patterns becoming one large fretboard pattern, which I think is where you would rather be with your fretboard!

My problem with the workbook is that I haven't cut or photocopied the pages yet for repetition.

I'm trying to mix names out loud and solfage when practicing. Work on both really.

I like that idea. That's my biggest ambition right now...Knowing how to get around the fretboard for the sake of being able to improvise. I'm still working on getting a solid grasp on keys and memorizing the circle of fifths, so that would probably help a lot with that. Thanks again Mark!

No problem...it sounds like you are on the right track. Are you playing any music yet with the information you've been working on? What styles are you playing? You might get something out of an Aebersold play-a-long book:

http://amazon.com/s/ref=sr_nr_i_1/102-8837389-5470542?ie=UTF8&rs=&keywords=jamey%20aebersold&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Ajamey%20aebersold%2Ci%3Apopular

Even if you aren't into playing jazz, getting the "ii V I" book, "Maiden Voyage" or one of the "Getting it all Together" type things might give you some structure to practice improvising with. They aren't the most inspiring things to play with, but they really make you work the theory while you are soloing....

Archived