Major Pentatonic Scale Video Lesson 10-6-07

I checked it out Mark, good stuff, I also looked around the site a little bit more, and found the entry about your pedal board. I'm working on my own, so input like that is really helpful.

Cool! I'm glad you dig it. The pedal board thing is something that took me years to arrive at what I've got. Pedal selection is something that was trial and error until I found what worked best for me. The road case became a necessity the more I gigged and destroyed gear. Now I don't gig so much, but I still like the protection.

There are definitely better ways to power your pedal board (I've been interested in the VooDoo Labs Pedal Power 2 Plus for some time), and the road case is about 60lbs (my back is still suffering from last nights gig as I write this). I can't recommend the Barber and Xotic pedals enough, though....I played a blues/rock gig last night, and used all 4 overdrive pedals on my board throughout the night for different textures.

• Members

Looks good to me. I think explaining the quarter notes, eighth notes, triplets and sixteenth notes along with the metronome is good for beginners. Quarter notes are rather self-explanatory, just hit on each click. For the others it is good to know how to count out the timing as you demonstrated. I think students or beginners can focus too much on the metronome trying to get 2 notes per click or 4 notes per click and etc. Beginners will hear they should play with a metronome, but they don't always understand how to use one.

• Members

Thanks! That means a lot coming from you...I have checked your site out in the past and there is so much good content...I really loved the Indian Guitar videos...

Hi Mark,

I'm new here, first post...... Your stuff looks great, nice work.

It's a small World. My Manufacturing Plant is at Glassell/Meats and my Product Showroom is @ 2164 N. Glassell, less than 2 miles away from your facility. I'll have to stop by and introduce myself in the near future.

Take Care.

Looks good to me. I think explaining the quarter notes, eighth notes, triplets and sixteenth notes along with the metronome is good for beginners. Quarter notes are rather self-explanatory, just hit on each click. For the others it is good to know how to count out the timing as you demonstrated. I think students or beginners can focus too much on the metronome trying to get 2 notes per click or 4 notes per click and etc. Beginners will hear they should play with a metronome, but they don't always understand how to use one.

I am pretty obnoxious with my students and the metronome, for two reasons. One is that it has always been a personal battle of mine to play good time...it has never come very naturally to me. The other is that it is very under taught. Most guitar teachers (in this area at least) make almost no effort to teach time, and most students that I get who are basically self taught either don't bother with the metronome or don't realize the important of playing time.

If I can get a student started at the beginning playing time in an organized fashion (picking and strumming divisions of time with the metronome) then they will have an easier time of it learning other skills down the line. Playing time is more like learning to ride a bike...once you can feel the right way to do it, you never forget.

I get a lot of students who are self taught, or who have had lessons with another teacher who hasn't emphasized the importance of this, though. It is really a lot harder to go back and start learning to do this once you have developed ways of strumming or picking that have no connection to steady time.

Sorry about the long winded reply...I just feel that if I can set what I consider a positive example of something that I feel strongly about then perhaps I can get a few more guitarists playing in time, as well as learning to solo a little bit! :)

Hi Mark,

I'm new here, first post...... Your stuff looks great, nice work.

It's a small World. My Manufacturing Plant is at Glassell/Meats and my Product Showroom is @ 2164 N. Glassell, less than 2 miles away from your facility. I'll have to stop by and introduce myself in the near future.

Take Care.

Cool! Please do! What do you guys make? Orange is such a small town in spite of its actual size...

• Members

Cool! Please do! What do you guys make? Orange is such a small town in spite of its actual size...

We Manufacture decorative Venetian Plaster products, named

Vella Venetian Plaster and sell it through the Paint Industry, Nationwide,ie.,,,,, Sherwin Williams , Dunn Edwards and Vista Paint.

We Manufacture decorative Venetian Plaster products, named

Vella Venetian Plaster and sell it through the Paint Industry, Nationwide,ie.,,,,, Sherwin Williams , Dunn Edwards and Vista Paint.

Cool! Since our studio is in more of a commercial area I get a lot of self employed folks and business owners taking lessons at lunch time or in the afternoon...sometimes it turns into a weird "alternative universe chamber of commerce"....

• Members

mark,
i'm self taught and never took any lessons. i have bookmarked your pages and look forward to going thru the lessons one by one to hopefully undo some bad habits i've developed over the years playing guitar
thanks for posting this, very helpful stuff.

mark,

i'm self taught and never took any lessons. i have bookmarked your pages and look forward to going thru the lessons one by one to hopefully undo some bad habits i've developed over the years playing guitar

thanks for posting this, very helpful stuff.

Hopefully the stuff is helpful for you...I am always taking suggestions, so if there is anything you are interested in seeing me cover, please let me know and I will try to fit it in!

Thanks

Mark

how about sweep picking (various scales) and legato techniques?

i'm trying to teach myself those right now. hehe

I'll put it on the list! The next 3 lessons or so will be on the Major pentatonic stuff, then I promised someone to do a little fretboard comprehension stuff, but the sweeping and legato stuff will be a nice break...I do one lessons a week, so sometime in December I'll do some of the fun stuff....

Archived