Retirement soon

mccoyson

• Members

I will be retiring from work in one year. I will be 54 years old and plan to go back to college and study music and guitar. I have been playing for a long time but didn't get serious about it until about 2 years ago and started taking lessens. I am playing alot better now than I ever did before. I can hardly wait until I can devote all of my time to music. Its kind of hard to work all day and stay motivated and practice when I am wore out at the end of the day. I don't know the point of this ramble. Any other late bloomers out there?

• Moderators

Started back on guitar about 2 years ago, after a 23 year hiatus.

There are benefits to being a boomer, lots of "mature" folk around these days playing music. I do envy the retirement thing. It's a challenge finding a way to fit my career around a music obsession, but it can be done.

cheers,

• Members

I started again 3 years ago, after a break of 16 years. Thanks in a good part to the internet, I am playing now much better than I ever did, plus I actually understand some of it!

I'd like to thank the many of you who shared your knowledge!:thu:

• Members

Thanks in a good part to the internet, I am playing now much better than I ever did, plus I actually understand some of it!

The wealth of info on the internet, especially this Lesson Loft forum, made a major difference when I got back to guitar. I learned some chords when I was 20, but never had the patience and discipline that I've gained now that I'm 55. I actually got back to it around 10 years ago with some teachers in fingerstyle and then blues, but I just couldn't get what I needed from them. They just wanted to teach me songs, but I wanted to understand what I was playing. I finally quit taking lessons and bought some lessons on DVD from TrueFire which introduced theory much more, but they were actually over my head. When I started looking on the internet for the answers, I discovered the Lesson Loft, where people answered my questions and pointed me to great resources. I was motivated enough to practice about an hour a day, and often half a day at a time on weekends. Even if you're watching TV at night, you can work through your scales and exercises like spiders over and over. In the last few years I'm starting to visualize the fretboard, I'm getting some riffs down and understanding what they're really doing and how I could modify them. I may retire in a few years, and it's nice to think that I could get together with some people and play.

Archived