JD-800/990 owners - how much would you pay for the String Ensemble card?

Awake77

• Members

How much have your paid, or would you pay for the SL-JD80-04 String Ensemble card for the Roland JD-800/990? As I understand it, its a must-have if you own one of these synths. 2 just went on Ebay for over $100, which seems like an overinflated price considering the whole board can be had for ~$500 - $600. Is it really that kick-ass of an add-on for the JD?

• Members

$100+ seems like a high price for that card. I don't think I'd pay over $50, unless it was something incredibly special. I think that with all the available downloads of sounds these days, the market for ram cards has shrunk, although I still like to use them and pick them up when I find a good deal on them. I have a JD800 & 990 and have a number of the sound library cards. I've found them to be a mixed bag of some really great sounds, some mediocre, and some I'd never use. I don't know about it's "must have" status. Unless you really use strings a lot, how many do you need? The JD has some pretty good ones in the presets, and you can tweak variations of them.

When I bought my JD990 used, I had heard that a "must have" for it was the Vintage Synth Expansion board. Mine came with it and it's pretty good, but unlike a ram card with 64 sounds, this installs internally and has over 500 sounds - and sells for about $100 used. Bottom line- I wouldn't pay that much for a ram card unless it was something rare that I absolutely had to have.

• Members

Thanks for the input Karma1. I just finished unpacking my JD-800 actually, and played it for the first time moments ago. I think Ill have my hands full just working with the sounds it can make without any cards:) This thing is a beast!!

So you have the 800 and the 990? Do you use the 800 to control the 990? Is there really a difference in sound?

• Members

I bought my SL-JD80-04 String Ensemble card set nearly 10 years ago for $60.

The only thing the waveform card adds to the JD-990 is the ability to the Roland ROMplery Strings Sound.

On one hand, there is nothing particularly special about short-loop sustaining string sounds - they are everywhere on all kinds of machines.

I do not think the card is really worth much. > $100 sounds ludicrous.

That said, My JD-990 is primarily a string-pad-atmosphere machine, so the ability to layer a little of that kind of timbre with the other waves from the JD itself and its associated Vintage board becomes something kinda special - at least to this JD padslut. ;)

So it is nice to have, no doubt.

But don't fool yourself into thinking it is any kind of "must" have, because it is not. The Vintage board is the "option" for the JD-990 that is essential, IMHO.

don't let it eat at ya!,

Ian

• Members

Nice:) Thanks for the consolation. I think the money would be better spent toward a 990 and the Vintage card, which seem like they can be had for

Man, I just have to say - this thing is crazy. Im just messing with presets right now and its just got such sonic *power*. I can imagine some pretty snazzy trance-style leads coming from this synth, as well as the crazy pads everyone talks about.

The filter is interesting...on some patches its very phat and analog sounding. On others, the resonance squeals like a pig and could shatter a tray of wine glasses:)

• Members

The prices are insane on ebay. They're hyped beyond conception for some reason, I wouldn't spend more than 50 on one of those cards. The JD can do enough on its own, I couldnt justify 100+ bucks on some extra waveforms. It sounds so good because of what it comes with on its own, not because of some silly overpriced add-ons. :D

• Members

Yeah, when I first saw the card I was psyched...but after it skyrocketed over $100 I was like "What the?" {censored} for $100 more you could buy a used ION!! Or a Prophet 600!

Hell, even the crappy 'rock drums' card went for $50.

That's nuts!

Archived