Korg X50 when and where?

Oscius

• Members

Originally posted by Oscius

And if any1 knows I would really like to hear some samples of exspecially korg triton series sounds in genral. (if you know any sound/solo / whatever sites)

Are you saying that you can't find a local music store that has any of the Triton series keyboards?

-- Triton Classic

-- Triton Studio

-- Karma (ignoring the Karma function/arpeggiator the base Sound ROM is the same)

-- Triton LE

-- TR

Modern keyboard workstations have SO many sounds that even manufacturer's webpages only allow you to hear a fraction of the available sounds.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

yes I am... nearest shop with korgs is like a long drive, I live in finland.

And obiviously I am only intrested in lead sounds (exspecially Sawtooth, Square and that deep "guitarish"(don't reemember what it is called) sound)

strings and other "metal" sounds

I just don't want to buy a synth that has that "electric fuzz" noice included in every sample. (cheapos)

I am not intrested in Techno crap that is about 99% of the voices anyway. (exept for pads but I know that those are good)

• 1 month later...
  • Members

I haven't seen them locally either. Personally I say buy the old flagships used and don't give Korg any indication that it's ok to recycle a product forever. It's been said before at NAMM, but personally I find the rehash insulting at this point. The triton architecture is nearly 10 years old now. At least it sure feels like it!

• Members

Originally posted by NuSkoolTone

and don't give Korg any indication that it's ok to recycle a product forever.

There's nothing wrong with releasing the X50, especially since it is $ 300 cheaper than the Korg TR61.

I suspect a lot of schools will buy the X50 and the microX, since:

-- they are very inexpensive

-- they both have editors that act as VST plugins.

From my earlier post:

The X50 is intended to be a "beginner's synth" ($700):

http://www.korg.com/gear/info.asp?a_prod_no=X50&category_id=1

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/X50/

and it effectively replaces the Korg X5D ($600):

http://www.korg.com/gear/info.asp?a_prod_no=X5D&category_id=1

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/X5D/

• Members
Originally posted by MartinHines

There's nothing wrong with releasing the X50, especially since it is $ 300 cheaper than the Korg TR61.

-What's wrong is buying a product that is CLEARLY at the end of its life cycle that won't be worth dog{censored} in a year.

-What's wrong is there isn't enough competition in this marketplace anymore to spur innovation at a more rapid pace. The manufacturers don't "Challenge" each other like they used to back in the day.

-What's wrong is the main players are now big, fat, and the only game in town and they know it. At least as far as the (Traditional) professional hardware market goes...

-We've been over this before, must I REALLY go on? :rolleyes:

• Members

-What's wrong is buying a product that is CLEARLY at the end of its life cycle that won't be worth dog{censored} in a year.

Manufacturers create products to generate profits. Given the X50 and microX are both very inexpensive compared to other Korg keyboards, I think both products will do very well in the marketplace.

Believe it or not, there are some musicians (or wannabee musicians) who don't want to (or can't afford to) spend $1,000 on a keyboard. For these musicians, even the Triton LE/Korg TR is too expensive. I assume these are the people Korg is targeting with these two keyboards.

I don't see any reason these two keyboards will be any different in terms of "used price after one year" than any other keyboard. Given they have editors that can be used as VST plugins, these two keyboards might even hold value better than other Korg keyboards (in % terms).

-What's wrong is there isn't enough competition in this marketplace anymore to spur innovation at a more rapid pace. The manufacturers don't "Challenge" each other like they used to back in the day.

I think there is actually more competition today than there was "back in the day". Keyboard manufacturers not only have to compete with themselves but also with software instruments. If the development pace of new keyboard products has slowed (and I am not sure it has), this could be a simple case of decreased R&D funding. If hardware sales drop due to competition, there would be less profit available to reinvest in R&D.

• Members
Originally posted by MartinHines

I think there is actually more competition today than there was "back in the day". Keyboard manufacturers not only have to compete with themselves but also with software instruments. If the development pace of new keyboard products has slowed (and I am not sure it has), this could be a simple case of decreased R&D funding. If hardware sales drop due to competition, there would be less profit available to reinvest in R&D.

Please quote me properly instead of snipping and convienetly responding to the snippet. I said : "-What's wrong is the main players are now big, fat, and the only game in town and they know it. At least as far as the (Traditional) professional hardware market goes... "

That takes the software market out. The majority that gig or do something beyond a few tracks on their computer still use hardware. There is most CERTAINLY less competition in this market than there was in say the mid 80's. Basicaly you have three choices for bread and butter workstation synths: Korg, Roland, and Yamaha. With Alesis as a distant runner-up.

I don't know if it's obvious to anyone else, but the pace of innovation was WAY faster back then. Polyphony would DOUBLE every 2-3 years, More features got added, sequencers were no longer an add-on. By the mid 90's all the little guys died off or got bought up. So what did we get? Limited Sampling, Larger ROM soundsets, and an arppegiator!

For most keyboards, Polyphony stayed between 32-64 voices (Still 62 for the triton series right?) for like 8 years! IMO Kurzweil was the biggest offender, followed by Korg. I can cut Kurz some slack because their R&D was basically halted for a number of years, and was somewhat AWOL from the market. Korg, however I felt rested on their laurels, or put all their eggs in one basket with OA$Y$ development.

Yamaha ALMOST acheived greatness with the EX5, what they TRIED to do was innovative at the time. It's a shame the excecution was so poor. I know because I used to own one! They followed up with the Motif as a Band aid, and then the Motif ES for what many sections of the EX5 SHOULD have been. I still hope they make an EX5 II that encompasses what was great about the EX5, plus the best of the motif ES, with some new enhancements.

Roland stumbled with the Fantom series until the FantomX, which is still not perfect, I think it is a great board. If that product wasn't soon due for an upgrade, and had sounds as good as the Motif ES, that's the board I would get hands down.

What has Korg done in this (Workstation) market? Rehash The Trinity/Triton(A Trinity with double poly and upgrades) Architecture for 10+ years, and Released an $8k+ Monster!

As a Devote 01/W owner (I sold an rebought!), I love the Korg sound and it dissapoints me that they don't wish to compete as aggressivly. That is because they don't NEED to. :( I am VERY interested to see what their "Trickle down economics workstation" will bring. What sucks is there's no way it will be as cool as the OA$Y$ (Which we've talked to death already, so please let's not go there) and one wonders what they will include and omit that bests their Triton yet competes with Roland and Yamaha yet doesn't compete with the OA$Y$. Will it be cool, or leave a resentful sour taste in the mouth? Only time will tell....

Party on...:cool:

• Members

There is most CERTAINLY less competition in this market than there was in say the mid 80's. Basicaly you have three choices for bread and butter workstation synths: Korg, Roland, and Yamaha. With Alesis as a distant runner-up.

Having more companies doesn't necessarily mean more competition. I see a tremendous amount of competition between Korg, Roland, and Yamaha.

Yes, I realize you only mentioned hardware manufacturers, but the reality is competition is competion, regardless from where it comes.

I don't know if it's obvious to anyone else, but the pace of innovation was WAY faster back then. Polyphony would DOUBLE every 2-3 years, More features got added, sequencers were no longer an add-on.

Workstations are a mature product, which means they already do so many things it becomes increasingly difficult to add new features each year.

The hardware manufacturers appear to operate the same way:

-- they are relatively small, so they all have long product development cycles

-- they use/take advantage of advances in electronics/computer technology every time they build a new product.

Sorry, but I just don't see them being less innovative now than they were in the past.

• Members
Originally posted by Veneficum

I predict Korg will rehash the Triton by selling it as a VST/DXI with either a USB or Firewire connection to the computer.

KorgSe.jpg

You have nearly described the X50 and microX, except that the audio signal out travels on "normal" audio cables instead of USB or Firewire.

Both of these products come with an editor that allows you to edit the keyboard as a plug-in instrument from within a host DAW application.

• Members

Na this would be a replacement for the Triton Rack... but computer dependent. It would come with the flux capacitor tube technology, and have onboard ROM of Triton Extreme but the added bonus of their new "Oasys" piano extra ROM found in the X50, micro x and TR series. The ROM would be cards found in the rack unit, and the rack would have Audio Outs as well as MIDI In/out Thru for standalone operation. It would also have software to run on the computer that would basically just use the hardware DSP and onboard ROM, but route it to the computers audio card.

All this is a bunch a crap anyway lol.

• Members

wow this thread still lives wouldn't have bilived(sp) and I don't know if I said but I need this for band usage not only for recording.(we play metal like Rhapsody, sonata arctica, Kamelot etc.) I need that kind of sounds.

and yes having only 1 insert effect is bad in Layer mode but apart from that I don't think that it will kill me, good samples are more important (lead, strings, voices etc.) Guitar sounds don't really matter becouse I can allways plug the synth to Guitar amp for better G sound or play guitar (witch I am not really good at tho).

I am very probably getting AX-7 with this (if I haven't mentoid before heh).

and as for Schools buying it. I think not, there is allways something more inexpensive in so called "synth" (under 500

• Members

If you just want to "play" almost any rompler these days will satisfy. This X-50 would be just fine for you as long as you can tolerate playing the keys.

As for the bands you listed many of the best albums were recorded with old Korg N5, X5, etc. Many of these types of artists still today use these.

• Members

Originally posted by Veneficum

If you just want to "play" almost any rompler these days will satisfy. This X-50 would be just fine for you as long as you can tolerate playing the keys.

As for the bands you listed many of the best albums were recorded with old Korg N5, X5, etc. Many of these types of artists still today use these.

Tolerate to play keys -in genral- or keys of X50, just taking that into account I am going to get a MIDI controller?

• Members

It would be nice to know if anyone acually has one of these thing (Korg X50 boards are as dead as dead can be) and I haven't been able to find any reviews for this thing. I will promise to make the first one when I get one witch is probably within 4 week.

And for keyboard generation Korg should make a OASYS lite that is half the price of the normal station without big LCD screens and other luxory.

• Members

My $.02:

I haven't seen the X50 hitting the stores yet (I have a GC and Sam Ash right by me). Clearly it's an X5D replacement. There's no doubt it has great sounds (Triton family)... I used to have an N5EX and have always said that if it was built like a D-50, I'd still own it. The thing was way to plastic to gig with.

• Members

but I don't care for that I just want to hear that this boards sound aren't like in Cheap class yamaha "keyboard".

If some TR users could tell me that :p.
would allso like to know if there are some "Lame"(fast) attack string sounds that are very often used in metal.

• Members
Originally posted by Speedyjx

I suggest an N-series, like a few others before me. It does cover everything you need. Go E-bay hunting.

N series is better than X50 and I don't live in america so Ebaying for that kind of thing is very hard once in 100 years thing heh.

I just want to know that X50 is not toy keyboard. Like cheapo yamahas.

and I want those fast attack string sounds they are teh killers while playing metal :).

Archived