Question about pick technique, Rest Stroke

Boothead

• Members

I've picked up the guitar after a pause. I'm trying to better my basic technique by going through Modern Method for Guitar by Leavitt.

From the DVD of the method I learned - for the first time - about the rest stroke. And after trying it, it seems to give a lot of control. At the moment my picking technique is pretty awful. But I'm wondering if it really is worth putting a lot of time into learning the rest stroke. I'm mainly into playing rock/metal.

I want to hear your opinions.

• Members

Rest strokes are one of those things that you ask most guitarists about and they go "huh?"

Most players fail to take advantage of that technique because they don't even know about it.

Classical and flamenco players use rest-strokes with their fingers for speed, power, and tonal variation.

With a pick you can get more power more easily, as well as different tones. Also, for sweep-picking, the rest stroke can be used to help rhythmic even-ness as well as for accenting notes in the middle of the sweep. Additionally, using rest-stroke with your pick, and popping with your middle finger, you can approximate sounds that bassist get with their slap/pop technique.

I would agree that the more towards metal your style is, the less impact rest-strokes would have.

The only group stylistically that I know of that takes advantage of rest strokes with a pick on a regular basis are gypsy jazz guitarists. Check youtube for some videos by guys like Bireli Lagrene, Stochelo Rosenberg, Jimmy Rosenberg, ect...

Another thing to remember about the rest stroke is that it is an old technique, developed before electric guitars, partly in order to help give acoustic guitars the volume needed to try and compete with other instruments.

Have fun learning to execute and apply your new secret weapon - the rest stroke.

- Jasco

• Members

Thanks for the answers. They were very helpful. :)

I think I will practice the rest stroke. I can see how it would help with sweep picking. I've played some classical guitar, so the basic idea is very familiar. Just can't seem to get myself to execute it with a pick properly.. practice, practice. :rolleyes:

Archived