Yikes! My left hand hurts!

mhoward

• Members

And it's not from jerking off (I use my right hand for that).

About a week ago I was doing some legato exercises and I felt a little strain on some pinky pulloffs that required a 4 or 5 fret stretch. I stopped doing that for the day, but of course I got back to it several times afterward. Now I'm starting to feel a dull pain in my left hand, between the pinky tendon and ring finger tendon.

I've heard loads of advice on warming up for 5 or 10 minutes, but figured that's too boring and I don't have time, but looks like I've finally seen the light. But how do I get over this? Do I have to stop playing for a month, or just stop doing anything that involves a stretch? I'm icing it today and put some BenGay on it.

• Members

I've had issues like this in the past. Strains in the hands and wrists can take a long time to heal because we use our hands so much during the day even when we're not playing. I've had some linger for one or two months. :mad:

If it's really bothering you or if it has been bothering you for a long time see a doctor. Otherwise stretch, take more breaks in your practice and, yes, take a few extra days off from playing. :cry:

Archived