Warming up the Wrists

unit11

• Members

I just watched a short instructional video on classical flamenco technique and one of the first things I saw them mention was the warming up of the wrists. Before even playing a note, they first roll their wrists in a smooth circular motion, then flex all the fingers so that all the muscles are relaxed and warmed up.

This seems like a very good idea for all styles of guitar, really, and I was wondering if any of you guys do this? Or am I the one dude in the bay that missed the boat?

• Members

No not really, i do have a maintance routine for my wrists because I had some carpel tunnel symtoms a year or so back. Basically I stretch and roll them (as you described) at least 3 times a day and do wrist exercises in the gym to strengthen them. I've not had any problems since I started doing that.

I don't do any stretches before I start playing though, still it isn't a bad idea, perhaps if I'd been doing that I'd never have had wrist problems in the first place.

• Members

I have some regular stretches I do for my fingers, wrist/forearms, shoulders, etc...

I might start with some minor ones but once I start feeling tense, I'll do them and hold them for about 20-30 seconds. The do wonders.

Just DON'T over stretch. Even a slight stretch can make a big difference.

Archived