I need pads

• Members

I want a synth that does pads really well. Don't care about pianos or any other instruments I just want pads. Doesn't matter if its an 80's analog synth or a rompler. Effects aren't a factor either, I can handle that, no problem. I will probably only require one or two different sounds more is a bonus. I've been trying to narrow it down, but there are far too many out there. Thanks to anyone that can help.

• Members

Originally posted by xavios

Ok, everyone and their mom seems to love the Roland JD800 and its
wonderful
interface. Another nice board is the Roland D50 or 550, get the programmer (PG-something or another) for some great sound design.

Yeah is roland like the leading pad company? Because I have been recommended them by a few people but not specific models.

• Members

Originally posted by robotsquid

I was going to recommend the K5000 too, it's a pad machine and a half. The keyboard feels really nice too.

yeah I love the keybed of the K5000, the black keys are strangly a bit thinner than most but the overall action and feel is the best in my studio by far...a real solid feel.

The K5000 is great for pads but is also so much more capable of so much more...all kinds of stuff...a really cool board for a really good price - 400 to 500 US approx...got mine for 450.00

Fantastic OS and surprisingly warm for being digital IMHO!

BTW...the Waldorf Q can also do great pads

• Members

I've gotten some really cool pads with the ensoniq esq-1 as well as it's bigger brother the sq-80, both can be found for under $300, I got my esq-1 for 100

Yeah Ive read great things about the SQ-80. Isnt that an analog board?

• Members

Is that digital or analog strings?

I was surprised no one has mentioned the JX10/JX8P for analog - or even a Korg Trident for something a bit more vintage.

And for digital there is the V-Synth which can do more strangeness and has the flexibility of the add-on VC-1 D50 card, although admittedly that is probably over your budget - in which case I'd suggest the JD800.

• Members

Originally posted by Mook

Is that digital or analog strings?

I was surprised no one has mentioned the JX10/JX8P for analog - or even a Korg Trident for something a bit more vintage.

And for digital there is the V-Synth which can do more strangeness and has the flexibility of the add-on VC-1 D50 card, although admittedly that is probably over your budget - in which case I'd suggest the JD800.

I mean more sounds more like an orchestra and less like a sustained piano with distortion.

• Members

The JX line is great like Mook mentioned. Tough to program without the PG800 though, and people are going bananas over them at the moment.

You can get a JD-800 for ~$500 - $700 right now (or less if you're lucky!), and with the StringEnsemble card you'll be in heavan.

Archived