Thomas Dolby Tour

jemgel

• Members

Hi Folks,

First post, more than little nervous....

I haven't seen a post in the keys and synth forum on the current Thomas Dolby tour, but I saw him the other night in Portland (met him in person also, what a gracious and personable individual, wow!) and was really impressed. He loops plays and triggers a lot live, and runs a head cam so you can see what he's doing on stage.

Here is a link to his gear thread, he's got a couple of fun toys you might not expect...

http://blog.thomasdolby.com/?p=76[/url]

• Members

jemgel,

Firstly, welcome to the forum! Secondly, "Howdy neighbor!" There are a bunch of us P-town homies in this group. Thirdly, yes, the show was wonderful and a special thrill for me as TDR has been a major influence on me over the years. To finally see him perform those songs live, at a time when I had assumed he would never tour again, was a real thrill. Thanks for posting. It was a great first topic!

Best,

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Excellent show. Really inspiring. Another example of how great the songwriting really is on his material. I also liked the fact that it wasn't ultra-polished, but just rough enough in some areas to keep it real.

The video element was great too - really added to the show (and it was super-cool to see the Dolby-view video mixed in to - made me feel like I was up there behind the keyboards).

There were no G5 crashes at our show (Detroit) - it all worked really well. I also thought his touch-screen (mounted on the CME controller - remote-controlling the G5) was very clever. Not sure what the vintage big-knob looking thing positioned behind the VirusTI Polar was...

Very cool. Very cool indeed. An affirmation of my soul as a synth guy.

Archived