Decisions, decisions... Sell my EX7 or Fantom S for a TR Extreme

• Members

I know there are many on this board that would cringe at the thought of selling any piece of gear for a Triton Extreme, but my decision is pretty set in stone. You see a few years back I made the unfortunate decision to buy a Triton LE (or as Billy Wa refers to Triton LAME Edition) and I must do what I can to make things right again. As they say in Boston I must "reverse the curse". Unfortunately since I've just booked my wedding and will be locked into $XXXX+ worth of payments for the next 12 months... I'll have to sell one piece of gear(not including that silver hunk of {censored}) to purchase the Extreme... One I've recently acquired (Fantom S)... or another that I really love but rarely play (EX7)

As many of you know... my love/HATE relationship with the LE has been exasperated by the fact that I've experienced the following on the LE:

You might be asking yourself... if I depise the LE would this idiot want the Extreme? Well, I just gotta say I LOVE the Triton sounds in my live setup... and for recording. Of the several synths in my live setup(which also includes an XP30 & Alesis Micron), the LE is the corner stone. I use it for sample playback (I have the sampling option +64MB ram installed). I use it for most of my organ patches, pads, and fat, FAT synth patches. In fact... I use the LE for a majority of the pitch perfect synth sounds of many of the rock tunes we cover (Faith No More, Bon Jovi, Journey, No Doubt, 311). Additional incentive is the promo offering a free MOSS card. I figure I can score a new loaded Extreme complete with MOSS for about $1650 locally. That is sufficent motivation to make the move now before July 31.

A few months ago I closed on Fantom S (complete with 256 sample memory) and although I admire it's versatility and performance features.... it's sounds are just blahhhhhhh. Boring, bright but uninspiring. I considered spending another $250 on a Ultimate Keys SRX expansion... but why sink more money into it when I could probably sell it for a few hundred less than what I'd spend on an Extreme. The only thing holding me back is that I haven't dug too far deeply into the Fantom's setups... and it looks like it could be a fun synth to gig with. I already have several samples I regularly use preloaded on the trigger pads. In addition I also own an XP30... which if I kept the Fantom, I would take out of my live rig and probably move to our rehearsal space... but I will NEVER sell it... EVER!!! (XP30 is simply the best performance board I've owned... the Fantom looks to have the same potential).

The Yamaha EX7 I bought last Spring.... what can I say... I LOVE the beast. Ahhhh... the filters, ahhhh... the EP's..... ahhhh the FX. Unfortunately... it's weight, size and awkward patch navigation keeps it out of my live rig. It sits at home, and gets played occasionally. I've tried to dig into it's programing... but it's very deep and very dense. Suffice to say without the manual I haven't gotten far. When I have a few brief moments I'll noodle with it... maybe use it to write with... but to be fair it's the synth I love the most and play the least.

I figure I can get $500-600 for the EX7 locally. $900-$1200 for the Fantom on Ebay. I'll take whatever I can get for the silver doorstop as is. (I hope at least $500). I'll need to wait to sell the LE however. I have several custom patches I've written (back when the LE accepted patch changes) that I'll have to re-write on the Extreme. My goal is to sell one synth ... program the Extreme... then junk the LE.

I'd love to have the finances and space to keep them all. Unfortunately I live in a small apartment... I gig nearly every Friday and Saturday so a solid (ahem) RELIABLE synth to gig with is more important to me than something that sounds great on a rainy Sunday afternoon. What would you do? Decisions... decisions.

• Members

hmmm touch choice!

i own an ex5 and have played the fantom s a number of times.

i really like both of them. i thought the fantom s was a joy to use, but i always liked the overall sound of the ex better even if its ROM is a little long in the tooth.

i know im not helping, but the thought of selling the ex somehow makes me sad...... *sniff*

• Members

Lame, Lame I say!

Actually, I say eBay the Fantom and use the XP-30 and Extreme. Before you toss the LE, let me steal your patches from you...

I am slowly moving from Fantom + LE to Fantom X/Micron/Electro for my rock band, but will probably use the LE again next time I get the chance to blow stuff up on stage.

• Members

Originally posted by BillyWa

Lame, Lame I say!

Actually, I say eBay the Fantom and use the XP-30 and Extreme. Before you toss the LE, let me steal your patches from you...

I am slowly moving from Fantom + LE to Fantom X/Micron/Electro for my rock band, but will probably use the LE again next time I get the chance to blow stuff up on stage.

Don't worry... I will be donating my patches to modern science. ;)

I think I'm leaning this way. The EX7 would be a hard loss to replace. I can always find a used Fantom somewhere.... anywhere.

• Members

I say keep the Xp30. Ebay the Fantom. Buy the Extreme. Move LE patches over then destroy it onstage. It may as well go out in a blaze of glory. Hang on to the EX7. If you are out of space or out of cash sample your favorite patches with the Extreme. Definitely get a 512mb Compact Flash card for the Extreme. I also bought a USB CD Burner to load samples from CDrom.

• Members

Originally posted by wheresgrant3

Unfortunately since I've just booked my wedding and will be locked into $XXXX+ worth of payments for the next 12 months...

Twelve months?? My friend, your payments are only beginning. Only beginning. :p:D

• Members

Grant...

You're selling your EX7? No way! D-D-D-Don't do it!!(playing a sample from "Whitelines").. I have the manual if that is what it boils down to. You're planning a wedding! Isn't this kinda the wrong time to think about gear?:confused::D

I was mainly joking(but serious about the manual. PM me if you want me to send you a copy. I can copy mine and send it to you in a .pdf). Finally getting of the LE, huh? The Triton Extreme with the MOSS addition sounds like a pretty yummy deal. I've demoed the Extreme many times at GC and I personally have found the pianos, organ and ep's very thin and unplayable. But, it has some really cool sounds and I think it would be a great edition for your live setup. For me, personally, As you already know, I play a lot of R&B and funk, so I demand a board with great-sounding pianos, as well as clavs and organs that are useful, and the S80 covers those basses well, while the EX7 covers the synth and horn parts. But in your situation, I'd definitely sell the LE and Fantom X and go for the Extreme:thu:.

• Members

This is your last chance to buy gear for awhile. I say do it now. The only times in my life I've been able to freely buy and trade gear is the times I've been single.

Don't know how to advise you wg3. As you know, I like my Fantom S a lot for gigging, but only with expansion boards, notably SRX-07. I don't think $900-1200 is reasonable even for a working one though, and as I remember yours has some broken knobs.

• Members

Originally posted by tucktronix

Grant...

You're selling your EX7? No way! D-D-D-Don't do it!!(playing a sample from "Whitelines").. I have the manual if that is what it boils down to. You're planning a wedding! Isn't this kinda the wrong time to think about gear?
:confused::D

I was mainly joking(but serious about the manual. PM me if you want me to send you a copy. I can copy mine and send it to you in a .pdf). Finally getting of the LE, huh? The Triton Extreme with the MOSS addition sounds like a pretty yummy deal. I've demoed the Extreme many times at GC and I personally have found the pianos, organ and ep's very thin and unplayable. But, it has some really cool sounds and I think it would be a great edition for your live setup. For me, personally, As you already know, I play a lot of R&B and funk, so I demand a board with great-sounding pianos, as well as clavs and organs that are useful, and the S80 covers those basses well, while the EX7 covers the synth and horn parts. But in your situation, I'd definitely sell the LE and Fantom X and go for the Extreme:thu:.

"I've demoed the Extreme many times at GC and I personally have found the pianos, organ and ep's very thin and unplayable. "

Very true... but the EX7 has some limited but incredible organ patches and EP's. I could be motivated to gig with it maybe if I got a decent case for it. BTW some of my favorite factory patches on the EX7 are Analog Bros (lead) and Stevie's Sync (lead). Do you ever use those with Mindsky? They are some incredible sounding lead patches.

• Members

Originally posted by mrcpro

This is your last chance to buy gear for awhile. I say do it now. The only times in my life I've been able to freely buy and trade gear is the times I've been single.

Don't know how to advise you wg3. As you know, I like my Fantom S a lot for gigging, but only with expansion boards, notably SRX-07. I don't think $900-1200 is reasonable even for a working one though, and as I remember yours has some broken knobs.

Yeah... that's the problem. The Fantom S on it's own without expansion is like an empty shell. To really make it sing you have to sink a few $$$ on expensive expansion cards. Not a worthy investment for me at this point.

I still think $900-1200 should be a fair range. It has 256MB sample ram and a great Gator case. All buttons and knob are intact.

• Members

Originally posted by triton76

I say keep the Xp30. Ebay the Fantom. Buy the Extreme. Move LE patches over then destroy it onstage. It may as well go out in a blaze of glory. Hang on to the EX7. If you are out of space or out of cash sample your favorite patches with the Extreme. Definitely get a 512mb Compact Flash card for the Extreme. I also bought a USB CD Burner to load samples from CDrom.

Personally... I'd like to smash it into a million pieces onstage and mail them to Martin Hines :D .

Sorry Martin, No offense... I only singled you out because at one point you tried to rationalize the LE's poor build quality. ;)

• Members

Personally... I'd like to smash it into a million pieces onstage and mail them to Martin Hines
:D

Sorry Martin, No offense... I only singled you out because at one point you tried to rationalize the LE's poor build quality.
;)

Cool - give me Martin's address, I'll work that into my next show, w/my Triton Lame Edition... :eek: LOL! :thu:

So Grant - let me axe you a keschun: why did you buy the Fantom S w/out selling the XP-30? You must really dig the 30 - and since you have already stated the Fantom S isn't all that unless you sink mo' money into it for expansion cards and whatnot, sounds like you're best bet is this:

1) Keep the XP-30

2) Sell the Fantom S

3) See what funds you have from Fantom S sale

4) Sell XP-30 if necessary

5) Buy Triton Extreme - I guess before end of July, to get the free MOSS board, right?

6) Stop fussing w/gear acquisitions before your bride-to-be-divorces you before you even marry her.

BTW - I have to agree w/earlier posts, though they sort of conflict w/eachother -

mrcpro says:

....though tuck says:

You're planning a wedding! Isn't this kinda the wrong time to think about gear?

...and finally, Mr. Botch says:

Twelve months?? My friend, your payments are only beginning. Only beginning.

ROTFL!! :D

• Members

Originally posted by GigMan

Cool - give me Martin's address, I'll work that into my next show, w/my Triton
L
ame
E
dition...
:eek:
LOL!
:thu:

So Grant - let me
axe
you a
keschun
: why did you buy the Fantom S w/out selling the XP-30? You must really dig the 30 - and since you have already stated the Fantom S isn't all that unless you sink mo' money into it for expansion cards and whatnot, sounds like you're best bet is this:

1) Keep the XP-30

2) Sell the Fantom S

3) See what funds you have from Fantom S sale

4) Sell XP-30 if necessary

5) Buy Triton Extreme - I guess before end of July, to get the free MOSS board, right?

6) Stop fussing w/gear acquisitions before your bride-to-be-divorces you before you even marry her.

I figger' I should have plenty o' cash if I sell both the Fantom S and the LE... I would be just getting by with the EX7 and LE sold.

I will never part with the XP30. Until you've gigged with one in a loud live band situation you might not understand. It's light, easy to use... has 1000+ great, very usuable sounds and there is something about the JV sounds that makes it sound great in a live mix. It boots up so consistent and oh so reliable (can't say the same about the LE). If I could score a SR-JV Keys of the 60's and 70's card it would be complete. I know if I ever parted with it I probably would kick myself. In fact I like it so much that If I had enough $$$ cash to buy the Extreme outright I'd still keep it as a backup board.

• Members

I figger' I should have plenty o' cash if I sell both the Fantom S and the LE... I would be just getting by with the EX7 and LE sold.

I will never part with the XP30. Until you've gigged with one in a loud live band situation you might not understand. It's light, easy to use... has 1000+ great, very usuable sounds and there is something about the JV sounds that makes it sound great in a live mix. It boots up so consistent and oh so reliable (can't say the same about the LE). If I could score a SR-JV Keys of the 60's and 70's card it would be complete. I know if I ever parted with it I probably would kick myself. In fact I like it so much that If I had enough $$$ cash to buy the Extreme outright I'd still keep it as a backup board.

Hmm... well, when that wedding day is approaching fast and you've already bought the Extreme & you're hurtin' for cash, call me - I'll take that XP30 off your hands for a fair price. :D

...just like I'm willing to take that Kurz. Micro off your hands for a fair price (if the Program knob is solid) - ha ha! Let me know by email if you'll be able to come by Sat., otherwise we can make other arrangements. :thu:

• Members

Originally posted by BillyWa

I
might
be willing to give up my 60-70s card, if you don't find one.

Wg3... grab it! You can't even get them new anymore, and your gear buying days are coming to a close. No matter what you and your fiancee have agreed to... trust me. ;)

• Members

A few months ago I closed on Fantom S (complete with 256 sample memory) and although I admire it's versatility and performance features.... it's sounds are just blahhhhhhh. Boring, bright but uninspiring.

Grant,

Just curious, when you say this, are you referring to the presets or programmed sounds?

If you really aren't inspired by the Fantom S and you are by an Extreme, then it seems to me the decision's made, particularly if it won't cost you more than adding an SRX-7 (as an example) that might give you more waves to choose from.

Cheers,

Mark

• Members

Originally posted by MartinHines

To save you some money, why don't you just have someone videotape you, then send me a link?

Haha!!! Good idea! I am on a budget after all. :D

Thanks for being a good sport. For the record I find 98% of the advice you given on TH, IA and HC to be incredibly valuable. ;)

• Members

Haha!!! Good idea! I am on a budget after all.

Thanks for being a good sport. For the record I find 98% of the advice you given on TH, IA and HC to be incredibly valuable.
;)

IA = Irish Acts

HC = Harmony Central

...but what is "TH" ?? :confused::eek:

• Members

Haha!!! Good idea! I am on a budget after all.

Thanks for being a good sport. For the record I find 98% of the advice you given on TH, IA and HC to be incredibly valuable.
;)

The remaining 2% was on THC!

Archived