Perfect Pitch....

• Members

Ive been looking into getting the Perfect Pitch course but have been put off (so far) by the money side of it, a quick scan of E-Bay uk /Amazon uk hasnt brought much up either.

Have people here got the course and is it worth it ? what is the general jist of the course ?

My feeling from what ive seen is its just an over priced money making course, much like other things in this vein are ie "learn to master guitar in 1 day for

• Members

I believe it starts with exercises to develop your relative pitch - you listen to different intervals, and there are quizzes that play a variety of intervals you have to name by ear. It starts simple, and slowly ramps up the difficulty. Useful to have it all set up for you, but you could do a similar thing on any instrument if you have the time and patience to practice. For actual perfect pitch, if I remember correctly they try to get you to recognize the "quality" or sound of each particular note so that you can recognize it.

My wife and i actually ordered the course (or a similar one - it wasn't that expensive) many years ago and started it, but didn't stick with it very long. We didn't get to the actual perfect pitch section other than the intro, so I don't know if it really works. I should pull those tapes out again and give it a go.

• Members

I don't think having perfect pitch is important at all. What matters when you play music is relative pitch, meaning the ability to hear intervals. I don't think perfect pitch has much to do with that.

• Members

I tried it a while ago. One of my mates had it, but I didn't stick with it long enough to reap the apparent benefits. I think the price is pretty high, but if you look at a lot of language courses they're pretty similarly priced.

I think the way the guy speaks is really annoying also - Just my 2 cents!

• Members

I was always led to believe you could not "learn" perfect pitch. I have a piano player friend who has it and it always amazes me. He listens to a piece and knows how to play it perfectly note for note the first time he sits at the keyboard. I've learned so much from him it's scary. My grasp of harmony and especially inversions and voice leading is a direct result of working with him. He does have the problem that hearing someone playing out of tune (even a little) drives him bat{censored} crazy. He does not suffer wankers or people who play things wrong (even a little) very well either!

• Members

You could just try ear training the old-fashioned way:

Learn bits of solos by your favorite soloists, playing a recording over and over and over again.

Even better: Sing the notes from the above, then play them on guitar

Worked for Hendrix, Montgomery, Clapton, Holdsworth, Page, etc.

• Members

I didnt know that everyone cand learn perfect pitch. I thought your either born with it or you not. One who is born with perfect pitch would just have to learn to associate the letter with the sound.

PS earmaster 5.0 is what im using to learn relative pitch. Free trial online

• Members

i don't have perfect pitch, but if i'm not slacking off on practice, i have perfect pitch on the guitar. or rather, i have relative pitch that slowly fades over a few days, but which acts as perfect pitch, in that i can grab my guitar and play whatever pitch i hear. weird, huh?

i remember having perfect pitch as a kid, though. and i still have sensitive enough ears to hear differences of a few cents.

• Members

I still don't think it can be learned....but hey that's just me and 40+ years of playing. Never held me back though. I used to look at that wanker in the "Guitar Player" ads and wanted to slap the {censored} eating grin off his face.

• Members

The topic of "can it be learned" is an interesting one.

If you want to become educated on that topic, one book to read is "Musicophilia" by Oliver Sacks.

You will find that "the jury is out" on this one, and you will learn some fascinating things that some people's brains do, as well, if you read it.

My summary of why I learned reading that book, then reading around some more, is that "likely most people can learn it if they start early enough, but it may be the case that by a certain age some people will have lost the ability to learn it, for all practical purposes".

However, if you are interested in "the brain" you will also know that it continues to astound in what it can do, so anyone who makes a definite statement is likely to be proved wrong at some point.

Cultures where pitch plays a part in the language have a much higher incidence of people with perfect pitch, implying that maybe it's learned. But don't rush to that conclusion: maybe it's inherited!

One thing that comes out from the literature is that *not everyone's brain has the same capability*

One of the claims of Perfect Pitch is that "everyone can do this". This claim is based, I think, on "obviousness". The idea that "we're all the same, so we can all do this, obviously".

Literature about "the brain" shows that such an idea is clearly false.

One wonderful example is that of synthesia. Some people have this. Some don't. You can't "learn it". Since this exists, it points to the fact that other aspects of the brain will be present for some people and not others. This fact upsets some people, who like to think that given enough effort, everyone could do anything. Sorry, it's not the case.

Unless you are a synthete, you will not hear colours, no matter how hard you try.

GaJ

(To be fair on Perfect Pitch, they make their claims based on "scientific research", not just "obviousness", but the problem with the scientific research on this topic is that it's not conclusive, as far as I am aware).

• Members

yeah synesthesia is a disease. having perfect pitch isnt about hearing actual roy g biv colors. its pitch colors.

also many composers associate colors with keys but dont necessarily see colors and shapes when they play. except for scriabin

• Members

Right, but to avoid us getting distracted: the point of raising synthesia is to illustrate that there are aspects of brain performance that some people have that others don't. This means that just because one person has perfect pitch, doesn't mean you definitely can have it.

I believe that the science jury is out on whether all (or even most) people can train to get perfect pitch.

GaJ

• Members

I don't care what ANYONE says. You cannot learn "Perfect Pitch" It is possible to recognize that you possess this freakish quality. But who would even want to be cursed with this horrible affliction. When you truly have perfect pitch, ALL music becomes nothing more than an exercise in pitch criticism. It is almost impossible to play piano, because piano by its very nature is always passing A440 in one direction or the other because of changes in humidity. To play piano, you would have to tune it every time you played it. Most people with perfect pitch play violin. Simply because you can tune the open strings perfectly, then compensate every position because there are no fixed fret positions. If I had perfect pitch , I would have to find another line of work: maybe Factory work or something.

• Members

At first I reacted in my usual "knee jerk" response to any post starting with the close-minded phrase "I don't care what anyone says". " Whoa, bud, calm down and open your mind" would be my usual response to that.

However, in this instance I think it may be true to say that 100% perfect pitch would be a freaky construct of a particular brain, and indeed agonising to have.

I think it's important to recognise that for practical purposes the term "Perfect Pitch" will cover a range of abilities. One of these is the ability to hear minute out-of-tune from A440. But another is just to be able to distinguish that something is either C or C#. That's an accuracy of +-50cents right? From what I've read, scientific research is not conclusive whether most people can learn this accuracy or not.

GaJ

Archived