How do you up-down strum chords where you don't play the low E?

• Members

Hey guys, I've been trying to play Jason Mraz's I'm Yours by following this tab, but I can't seem to play the F# and G#m correctly.

Basically, it's:

F#

e..A..D..G..B..E

x..9 11 11 11 x

But for every measure, it's:

1. F# (strumming downwards)

2. (up strum mute)

3. (down strum mute)

4. (up strum mute)

When I strum, I just sweep over all the strings, or else it's really hard to play with up-down strumming -- I hit the low E a lot even when I'm not supposed to.

One thing I tried was using my index, which is holding the A string, to also touch the low E string so that it's muted, and then I just go on with my sweeping strumming motion. It works, but not too well.

Is there a better way to do this type of strumming?

• Members

For those types of chords I use my index finger to mute the low e string. I also have rather small hands. Just takes some practice in doing, but basically your simply going to have the tip of your index finger against the low e muting it.

But even when muting it, you should try to avoid hitting it when you strum. You just want to have the mute there in case you graze it so it doesn't ring out.

• Members

There's songs where I just pop the low E string out of the nut and let it lie aside the neck.

Sometimes I'll tuck a cylindrical foam earplug in there under the low E.

When you're playing that swingin' rhythm, the low E string is quite often something you're better without.

T

Archived