What scales/modes are used in these Michael Manring songs?

ck3

• Members

There seem to be a lot of half steps and dissonant intervals in the song "Bad Hair Day". It almost sounds like the diminished scale at times ... but my ears are only so adept. :o

[YOUTUBE]6IqqegGvNko[/YOUTUBE]

I'm also interested in learning more about the theoretical basis of "Snakes Got Legs" and "You Offered Only Parabolas" from the same album. I was able to find brief clips of both songs here: http://allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:fjfyxq8gld6e (click on the tiny speaker icon to the left of the song title)

I'm hoping that there are some Manring fans or theory aficionados here who can provide guidance. Thanks.

The other two songs use a variety of sounds, all common in jazz songs. Maj7, min7, and some altered dominant/diminished sounds all mixed together. The progressions are moving around chromatically, changing keys every chord, which is very common for fusion and modern jazz. This type of harmonic movement was widely used by Wayne Shorter in the 60's and 70's, and it's found it's way into fusion in the decades following.

• Members

Far out bass line!! Is someone actually playing that, or is it synthy stuff?

Those are actual bass lines. The intro is artificial harmonics, and the rest is probably the result of signal processing, overdubs, and/or Michael Manring tweaking his hyperbass tuning gears.

Thanks for the info. I'll have to do some research on Wayne Shorter and see if he has written any jazz theory books.

He hasn't, but the sheet music for his tunes is readily available, and they're technique-wise a lot easier than Manring stuff. A good idea would be to check out the Aebersold play-along of Wayne Shorter tunes. It comes with a book with lead sheets to the tunes with scale suggestions for each chord and a CD with a band playing the chord changes. You can study the tunes to get some harmonic ideas which should make some of Manring's stuff sound more familiar and identifiable.

• Members

Wayne Shorter was probably more influential in modern jazz writing than I'd realized. The first I heard of this was when someone opined that Holdsworth's tunes were "obviously" influenced by Shorter's writing.

Good stuff, Poparad! Vol. 33 of Aebersold is going onto my book-to-buy list.

Archived