What book or lesson package would you recommend to a beginner?

• Members

1. Learn basic theory (Intervals, chord/scale construction, the major scale and how its harmonized, learn the minor scale and how that is harmonized, learn how to use the Blues scale and the Minor Pentatonic scale).

2. Get Berklee's Modern Method for guitar ( this will teach you one of the most under developed ability of guitarists', Reading Sheet Music and being able to keep in time). Seriously this is a GREAT book and I'm doing Volume 1 currently. On page 18 :). Also this will help you learn fingerpicking.

3. Listen to your favorite songs, slow them down, and figure them out by ear.

4. If your chops are not up to par with your favorite players, come back and we can post exercises. But my motto is if an exercise offers nothing in MUSICAL VALUE, then it's pointless by a large degree.

Now tell me who the two girls are in your avatar. :D It's only fair. I helped you, you help me? :p

• Members
2. Get Berklee's Modern Method for guitar ( this will teach you one of the most under developed ability of guitarists', Reading Sheet Music and being able to keep in time). Seriously this is a GREAT book and I'm doing Volume 1 currently. On page 18
:)
. Also this will help you learn fingerpicking.

Don't forget, this is a guitar-oriented forum. Guitarists are supposed to live in mortal fear of standard notation. :cop:

;)

• Members

I'd go to website that has song lyrics with chords and learn some songs I liked.

I'd sing along while I played the chords. I'd look up the chords and how to finger them.

I'd keep learning more songs.

I'd pick out the melody on my guitar for each song by ear.

That's what I'd do. I wouldn't buy any books.

By doing this I'd learn a lot of chords and melodies. I'd even experiment and change the melodies up and try out different notes.

• Members

Every time someone is looking for home study course either you or I recommend this and the other one concurs
:lol:
But seriously ,this is really really good. It's worked wonders for me.

I'll join you in this recommendation. And better yet, one of the not-widely-known secrets is that you can order a previously-owned expanded edition course for $99 plus shipping. That's what I did. It looked new with only the cellophane gone.

It is no magic bullet, though. It requires a lot of patience and practice, but it's the best thing I've seen for self-study, especially for a beginner or someone who is not yet to an intermediate level. Also, there is a great community forum where you can ask the instructor and fellow students, some who have finished the course, questions and get some needed counsel and encouragement.

Bill

Archived