The Number of the Beast - lesson

A student of mine has been wanting to learn some Iron Maiden, and I'd never really delved into them before. I came across a sample from "licklibrary.com" Seems likes some really well done stuff. The internet was just budding when I started guitar, so I didn't have access to all this video tutorial stuff. Kids these days are spoiled!

[YOUTUBE]cCkkwmMuLk4[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

I've got a few of the licklibrary DVD's.So far I've only used one of them to learn a couple of Peter Green's stuff.
As far as reproducing the original songs goes, they seem to be top notch.However I grew weary of the teaching style quickly.It's literally spoonfeeding. Nowadays,mostly thanks to advice given on this forum,I'd much rather spend longer time learning a song and learn it by ear.I guess it's still good to use those DVD's as reference ,say for a difficult passage that one can't learn by ear.

.I guess it's still good to use those DVD's as reference ,say for a difficult passage that one can't learn by ear.

This is what I was thinking. For more difficult things, it can be quite a nice tool. Also, for beginners who have no frame of reference and need some temporary spoon feeding, this can be useful.

• Members

I still like that tune/album/band. My son used to sit on the Internet and learn riff after riff. I can't imagine what that would have been like at such an early stage in the game.

Your student might appreciate this story...

When Number of the Beast first came out we would use it to open our shows. We would place a full sized caged at the middle of the stage with our singer inside of it, crank the fog machines on, and shine a red pinspot light down directly at the singer.

The front poles of the caged were made of molded foam.

With the curtain closed and the fog building up on stage I would start the intro riff, then as the singer came in the curtain would open with nothing but that light on him and everything else dark and foggy. Then when the band finally kicks in (dadadada-DAAAA, dadadada-DAAAA) 4 flashpots would shoot off, and just then the singer would rip open the foam poles on the cage and jump out of the cage and run to the front of the stage!

It was a hell of an opener! I can still see the heads banging at the front of the stage when the band kicked in, the singer ripped out of the cage, and the flashpots blew off :)

• Members

Keeping time with that song is fun.

The Lick Library DVD's are hit and miss (the one's I've seen).

Some will explain what's going on (theory wise) and some will just show you what notes to hit (without explanation, which is fine if you need to learn the song in one day [sometimes me!] but for increasing your overall knowledge = not.

Archived